Hit a deer this morning

daan

:
06 "5"
It was a little-un, I never even saw it before I heard the bang. I stopped (I live out in the sticks so I was the only car on the road at 5am) but couldn't find it anywhere, so it ran off. Anyway everything still works (well, other than the hood release) so if I'm lucky all I need is another hood. When I had my Miata, I remember there being a Miata recycler, a wrecking yard that just did Miatas. Is there anything similar for Mazdas, or am I gonna have to nut up and go to a body shop?

Oh yeah, pix:

Stupid deer. I hit one with my Miata right after replacing the nose because of all the parking lot rash, but I was able to do it myself. I haven't tried to take my 5 apart ever, maybe this is my opportunity...

Sorry to hear this.
Check local junk yards that do imports, see if you can locate the hood of the same color and you will probably want a new grill.

I ran over a full grown one on I-55. I just got my replacement splash shields. Sorry to see your car like that, but at least its just the hood.

Car-parts is your best option. Every state has junkyards, but supply may be an issue. You might have to drive to a larger city. Ive used planet-miata and while options are nice (wrecked Miatas are a dime a dozen), theyre not cheap and shipping would be a killer luckily they are in PA and have a color matching part. The thing is since you have an 06 w/ high mileage, getting it properly done is going to be cost prohibitive and painting is expensive.

Can you find a local Mexican job? You can then use a traditional Bra or the magnet bra to coverer it up or DIY like below. I am very tempted to do like link below but cant get feedback on how durable this stuff is in the long term. :/
http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123839114-Carbon-Fiber-Wrapped-Hood-on-my-M5

Hitting up car-part right now. I found NEW hoods for $150 online, we'll see if used ones are cheaper.
And I live in super-rural Wisconsin, the only junkyard near me has parts if I'm looking for an F150 or a Taurus, I bet they've never had a MAzda in there, let alone a 5...
ANd yeah, it's just the hood/bumper. The radiator/AC condenser is fine.

Hitting up car-part right now. I found NEW hoods for $150 online, we'll see if used ones are cheaper.
And I live in super-rural Wisconsin, the only junkyard near me has parts if I'm looking for an F150 or a Taurus, I bet they've never had a MAzda in there, let alone a 5...
That's a good price! BUT you need to add paint cost (or just wrap it on the cheap). Junkyard stuff is only worth it IF it is a color match. Often, you can find cheaper online.

Even if used one in good condition is $250, it will still be cheaper. Look for about $200-$300 to paint the hood at the shop.

I picked the hood up this morning. It looks like it's gonna work just fine. I remember being able to get pretty much any part for my Miata I needed (new, at the dealer even) but are underhood plastic stuff for 5's as easy to come by?

and the hood was suprisingly light, are they aluminum or steel?

Latest posts

Back