High Mileage MS6s?

LaraS

:
1994 RX-7 Touring & 2002 Nissan Xterra 4x4
Hey guys,

I'm sorry if this question has been asked numerous times before. I have trouble searching on this forum.

I had a 2008.5 Mazdaspeed3 for about 3 years and sold it last October to buy a 2005 Jeep Liberty Renegade (I know, I know). My husband and I were buying a house at the time and needed the extra cash for our down-payment. I've regretted leaving Mazda ever since. We've since settled into our house and are doing OK financially.

Last month my Liberty decided that it no longer wanted to deal with having a reverse gear and it s*** the bed. I took it in to have the transmission fully rebuilt.. and after tearing the entire thing apart they told me that they can not source the parts since it is a 6-Speed Manual. They said all they could do was find a donor car's transmission and swap that in. I'm looking at getting my Liberty back next week and am just so fully disgusted by the whole thing. I'm going to sell it privately and get something else.

My budget is not very high. We could afford a $20,000 car loan.. but I just don't want to since we have the sizable mortgage payment now. We have about $12,000-$12,500 to work with to remain comfortable. I've found several high mileage Mazdaspeed6s in my area for anywhere between $10,000 and $12,500. They all have 80,000-110,000 miles.

Now with the Mazdaspeed3s, I've known a ton of people to beat the crap out of them. Normally I'd steer clear away from a turbo-charged high mileage car with a good aftermarket following. I've very concerned about picking up another problem car with high mileage. However.. the call of the Mazdaspeed6 is strong!

I know how to look for the basic aftermarket modifications, and tell-tale signs of past modifications on Mazdaspeed3s and assume it is similar in the Mazdaspeed6s.

Is there anything in particular I should look for, or should I just steer clear of this? I've also been looking at Legacy sedans and wagons.

Thanks for reading this novel.. any help is greatly appreciated!

Well, the first thing to look for is one that is under 70k and make sure the warranty is good. Mazda just sent out a letter extending the warranty for the VVT Actuator and Turbo Smoking to 7 yrs/70k miles.

The VVT issue is really easy to spot.. If it rattles from the motor when it starts... VVT Actuator needs to replaced.

How high of a mileage are you talking about? My MS6 has 80085 (Yes, boobs!) miles and the only major issue I've ever had is the VVT thing

I've noticed a few on cars.com has a bunch of low mileage ones all over the place.

Well, the first thing to look for is one that is under 70k and make sure the warranty is good. Mazda just sent out a letter extending the warranty for the VVT Actuator and Turbo Smoking to 7 yrs/70k miles.

The VVT issue is really easy to spot.. If it rattles from the motor when it starts... VVT Actuator needs to replaced.

How high of a mileage are you talking about? My MS6 has 80085 (Yes, boobs!) miles and the only major issue I've ever had is the VVT thing

I've noticed a few on cars.com has a bunch of low mileage ones all over the place.

that, my friend, is pure f***ing win! LOL!

anywho, my 2006 has 60,100 miles and i'd love to sell it to you for under $20k but:

1- it's been in an accident (still clean title)
and
2- it's in california :((((

Thanks guys for all of your responses.. I decided to keep my Jeep and hope it holds up for a few more years.

Back