Hey guys have you noticed this about our air vents?

While driving I had some fog buildup on my front windshield so I turned the vent knob to channel it to my front windshield, what was strange.......it was blowing cool AC air. I had the AC off. Also when I channel the wind to go the lower compartments I noticed it was blowing very cool air as if I had the AC on. But funny thing is...the engine doesn't feel like it is running the AC. Hmmmmmmm:confused: Any ideas?

SORRY BUDDY

The same stuff happens to me. I thought I was all alone until now.

We have some Smart people on this site to help us out though.:D

160 plus IQs'

Hmmm................... If A Mazda Mp3 crashed in the woods, would anybody hear it?

Last edited:
AC is always ON when you channel it to your windshield. The reason is that AC air is dry so the fog buildup goes away faster. (Works better with HOT AC air of course :) ) The again, I think the AC motor is always on, that's why you don't see any difference... This time, I think it's to prevent having AC lag...

Correct me if I'm wrong :)

From what I understand, the air is always on in all positions other than the last two, front vent/floor and front vent. That is why I try to drive on the last two settings to ensure I am getting the maximum power from the engine.

mrblk said:
AC is always ON when you channel it to your windshield. The reason is that AC air is dry so the fog buildup goes away faster. (Works better with HOT AC air of course :) ) The again, I think the AC motor is always on, that's why you don't see any difference... This time, I think it's to prevent having AC lag...

Correct me if I'm wrong :)

I didn't know that the AC motor(as in the compressor) is always running? Well maybe it does and only engages some kind of clutch when the A/C button is hit. Soon as I hit the button there is a noticeable lag in power, due to the belt running the compressor. In my fathers merc when you hit the windshield defrost it automatically defaults to dry hot air. On mine it blows cool unless I turn the knob to the red then I get hot air. Oh also there is no noticeable loss in power.

deepcover6 said:

I didn't know that the AC motor(as in the compressor) is always running? Well maybe it does and only engages some kind of clutch when the A/C button is hit. Soon as I hit the button there is a noticeable lag in power, due to the belt running the compressor. In my fathers merc when you hit the windshield defrost it automatically defaults to dry hot air. On mine it blows cool unless I turn the knob to the red then I get hot air. Oh also there is no noticeable loss in power.

None the less...IF you select the defroster mode for your system...ie the windshield or the combo setting...the compressor runs whether or not you have the little button pushed....this is so that you will be DEHUMIDIFYING the glass....however....if you need hot air you do have to turn the temp setting to hot. its how the engineers wired our system.

Back