help! rims wont fit...

Run for Cover

:
2003.5 speed
Ok so i have a mazdaspeed protege.. the rims i TRIED to put on are the ASA JH8's which tirerack sells for our cars.. here is the link http://www.tirerack.com/servlet/Cal...ex=0&filterSize=&filterFinish=&filterSpecial=

Size Selected: 17x7.5
Price: $159 (each)
Estimated Availability: In Stock
Recommended Tire Size: 215/45-17
Wheel Offset: +50mm
** Lightweight: 19.6 lbs. **
Additional Specs
Bolt Pattern: 5-114

the front rims rub against the calipers BIG time.. its like i need spacers or something.. i have to call tirerack sometime this week.. anyone ever expereince something like this? are those rims the wrong size? thanks...

it's rubbing against the caliper? The spokes or the center? Just get a 2mm hubcentric spacer, essentiall making it a +48. If you want more clearance (+45) get a 5mm spacer.

where do i get spacers from? that means i have to do the back right? but why have to do that if the rims are sappoused to work and fit and all that nice stuff?!?!?!?!? blah this is dumb

yah it scrapped away part of my caliper!m not near the spokes. it was near the hub.. it scratched the inside of the rim...

Last edited:
Go to pepboys and get a hub spacer.Just bring the wheel out a bit and you are good to go. Oh and make them pay for the damages.

Run for Cover said:
hello? 80 some lookers and no help? cmon

Dang man calm down.

You should replace the studs with longer ones if you use a spacer unless you like the possibility of your wheels out running you.

I'll try. IIRC, the MSP has 7" wide wheels with +55mm offset, OEM.

With a 7.5" wheel and +50mm offset, the outside edge of the wheel will extend an extra 11mm (.433") outward. How do I know?
http://www.1010tires.com/WheelOffsetCalculator.asp

This may be why the rim is contacting the caliper.

With a 7" wide wheel and +50mm offset, the extra extension would only be +5mm (.197")-possibly enough less to provide sufficient clearance.

As pixy said, Tirerack sold you the wrong setup.

Using hub spacers wiil only make things worse by reducing +offset even more by moving the wheel further outward.

Well the space is tight enough already with the msp. I put those brakes up front on my P5 and my clearance is a post it. I am glad I got the 45 offset and not 48. They would have hit for sure.

The hub spacers will help because they will move the wheel outward away from the caliper, where his problem is.

He is having clearance issues near the center of the wheel, not the outer rim.

And I think that the wheel would only extend ~6.5mm outward more than stock because the added width is split, not added.

So, 5mm out for the offset over stock and ~3mm for the extra 1/2" rim width over stock divided by 2. 5mm + 1.5mm = 6.5mm farther out than stock.

Last edited:
Offset = hub seating surface in relation to the centerline of the wheel. Your wheel's hub seating surface doesn't allow caliper clearance so you need to move the wheel outward with spacers - you should be able to measure how much, and you have about 5mm to play with. Google "wheel spacers" and you'll find what you need. However, I'd be contacting TireRack if I were you (boom06) I'm surprised you didn't notice this when they were mounted up. With the amount of spokes that wheel has, it must have been contacting the caliper and not allowed you to bolt them on all the way.

My clearance issue:
bbk3.jpg

Bala de Plata said:
I'm surprised you didn't notice this when they were mounted up. With the amount of spokes that wheel has, it must have been contacting the caliper and not allowed you to bolt them on all the way.

The JH'8's are 5 spoke. You are thinking of the other model. Either way get a spacer and longer studs and you will be fine. No biggie.

apexlater said:
The hub spacers will help because they will move the wheel outward away from the caliper, where his problem is.

He is having clearance issues near the center of the wheel, not the outer rim.

And I think that the wheel would only extend ~6.5mm outward more than stock because the added width is split, not added.

So, 5mm out for the offset over stock and ~3mm for the extra 1/2" rim width over stock divided by 2. 5mm + 1.5mm = 6.5mm farther out than stock.

I see your point about moving the wheel outward. However, the outside edge of the wheel will be moved outward by 11mm, not 6.5mm. This is because although the difference in the wheel width must be divided by 2 (.25" = 6.35mm), the reduction in offset is not, by definition. Therefore, 6.35mm + 5mm = 11.35mm, almost exactly as the calculator stated.

Black_Protege_5 said:
The JH'8's are 5 spoke. You are thinking of the other model. Either way get a spacer and longer studs and you will be fine. No biggie.
(RTM) Yup - that's what I get for assuming. I was thinking he had the AR1/2's. Also, the calipers may have had clearance to begin with and moved out a couple thou. when they warmed up.

Yes but with an original 50mm offset there is enough clearance. Just bring it out 2mm and you will be good. If its only rubbing a little. You can make your own spacers by adding a washer to it. Just make sure they are all the same size.

Back