Help! Cracked exhaust manifold.

travismoseley

:
Mazdaspeed Protege
I have a 03.5 MSP and i have a cracked exhaust manifold and i cant find a stock Callaway one anywhere. So i just need advice on a good after market exhaust manifold i can get for my car. Im 17 and this is my first car so i dont know much about it. Thanks!

This forum is probably your best bet. I assume you checked with the dealer? The aftermarket is pretty dried up for this car. It's a 10 year old car which had a very low number of vehicles produced. I'm also not sure how many aftermarket exhaust manifolds there were anyway. Steed spotted is the only one I've ever seen.

Okay so do you think it would be a better idea to get a turbo manifold? Because the cast iron breaks too easily.

Check out this thread. Search is your friend.

I'm thinking any of those will be hard to find at this point.

Edit: the thunder and steed speed may still be available, but they aren't stock replacement as far as I know. This could get expensive for you real fast.

I'm definitely not the right person to solve this as my car is still bone stock.

Last edited:
Okay cool thanks so much. Yeah if anything its better after market because they seem much stronger than the stock one. But witch turbo manifold do you recommend either the thunder v2 or the steed speed. it said the v1 thunder had problems cracking but the v2 was fine.

Okay cool thanks so much. Yeah if anything its better after market because they seem much stronger than the stock one. But witch turbo manifold do you recommend either the thunder v2 or the steed speed. it said the v1 thunder had problems cracking but the v2 was fine.

steedspeed is built much better

i've also heard good things about the steed speed one, but you need to realize that this is not a bolt on replacement part. This will be a serious modification to your car as I don't think it will bolt up to the stock turbo so you would need to replace the turbo along with all the piping, intercooler, waste gate, etc. You're looking at thousands of dollars to go this route, which imo is not worth it for this car at this age. Have you tried locating the stock part at a used part store online? I'm assuming Mazda doesn't have them anymore?

the only steedspeed's being made have a t3 flange. u need to find one with a t2 flange on it. theres one for sale in for sale section or u can hit up Ryan on here i gotta double check his forum name. but he and brian lawlor (signature sound) are producing some custom turbo manifolds. and are starting up a 2nd group buy for it. i purchased one from their 1st group buy. and thing looks solid. another thing is to look into is getting solid motor mounts. stock mounts suck and have to much give which put stress on the down pipe and manifold which also accounts for them cracking from the engine lashing back and forth. same thing happens to guys who have stock midpipes. the welds on the cats give due to the engine lash.

There's a used steed speed fore sale on here. Needs a stud drilled out and egr tube fixed. Any shop should be able to fix thoes issues fairly easy.

There are multiple stock ones in for sale section, I'm sure Mazda has new ones as well. Or have one custom made. It's not that cast iron is weak but 10 years of going from 30-1200 degrees will make any metal crack. However you should have a brace to keep stress off of it

Yeah i guess it would be better if i went through mazda see if they have the stock ones. But i guess im just not looking in the right places for the exhaust manfold because all of the ones i see for MSP's are like 5 years old and the parts are gone. I need a new stock turbo really badly too. And ive been looking for my stock GT2254r but i cant find it any where on the forum and the cheapest one ive seen was on ebay for 800 for a brand new one just i didnt have the money at the time. So if theres anyone who also has a stock turbo ill buy it.

I have an eBay t25 that needs rebuilt for $30+ shipping

Mazda still has a few manifolds left for my car( way older and less made than msp) so I'm sure they have some just check at a dealership

I'm having this exact same issue right now, i got three cracks on the callaway, its so bad my car wont even boost. It started with a bad wastegate actuator that was making me hit fuel cut and upon changing that part i found the cracks. My car is bone stock and i plan to keep it that way but i would love to ditch the factory manifold and get the steedspeed factory replacement

As stated before, steedspeed manifolds are no longer produced. So, look around the FS section for a used one. Stock manifolds are not weak. The constant heat cycling over a 10 year period does play a part in it. but the major reason for cracked manifolds is because of the stock motor mounts and the fact that the stock down pipe is braced to the engine...well the J pipe is anyway. So, as a result, there is no give in the exhaust system while driving. But the movement has to go somewhere. Solid mounts greatly reduce lash and a DP with flex section allows a good amount of movement which takes the stress off of the manifold. Get solid motor mounts and that should slow down if not stop cracks from developing. I had a crack forming on my manifold. It wasn't all the way through, but you could see it. I swapped in AWR 88's all around and that crack never got any worse and no new cracks formed. Then swapped the stock down pipe for a PEP down pipe with flex section and that would have helped as well. But by then, I had already swapped my stocker for a tubular MAM mani. But anyway, the cracks on manifolds are not all because of "manifold quality" or heat cycling. If that was the case, JDM Sam's manifold would have major cracks in it by now. But nope, his is in great shape and yes his is coated. But he also has solid mounts. So, as I said before, swap to solid mounts and if you can, find a PEP downpipe or get a custom one made with a flex section and they will help prevent cracks. Or if you can't do that, take the stock manifold out and get relief cuts on the flange between the runners

Last edited:
Okay, totally not saying this is a good option. Just asking to see if anyone has had any contact with the eBay manifolds that pop up? Specifically the OBX?

the only steedspeed's being made have a t3 flange. u need to find one with a t2 flange on it. theres one for sale in for sale section or u can hit up Ryan on here i gotta double check his forum name. but he and brian lawlor (signature sound) are producing some custom turbo manifolds. and are starting up a 2nd group buy for it. i purchased one from their 1st group buy. and thing looks solid. another thing is to look into is getting solid motor mounts. stock mounts suck and have to much give which put stress on the down pipe and manifold which also accounts for them cracking from the engine lashing back and forth. same thing happens to guys who have stock midpipes. the welds on the cats give due to the engine lash.

exactly...the stock mounts are trash...i'd get replacements to install with your new parts, as it'll just happen again to some other exhaust part pretty soon...A few years ago, some one put a light and a small camera under their hood on a relatively stock MSP...just to illustrate how much engine rocking was going on under throttle, and especially on throttle lift...i can't believe the engine wasn't just slamming into the firewall...it was pretty alarming...NO exhaust system will up with that for very long, especially one that doesn't even come with a flex pipe...only a cup joint...

Okay, totally not saying this is a good option. Just asking to see if anyone has had any contact with the eBay manifolds that pop up? Specifically the OBX?

OBX says it will fit the MSP ... But it wont if you look at the pictures theres nowhere to attach it to the turbo. However there is another ebay one for 200 bucks
https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned) If your tight on money then this is your best option... Stock from the dealer is like $2,000. also ive heard good things about this ebay manifold.. My friend has it and he had to have a machine shop flatten the surface because it wasnt tottally flat.. But since he got it flattened and installed he has never had a problem..

Okay I will do that. I was thinking about getting a custom exhaust anyway so that will work out. And I know this is an irrelevant question to this thread but I was wondering if rims that were 18x8 would fit my car. Because I know the racing harts are 17x7.5 so I'm only worried about the width of them.

Okay I will do that. I was thinking about getting a custom exhaust anyway so that will work out. And I know this is an irrelevant question to this thread but I was wondering if rims that were 18x8 would fit my car. Because I know the racing harts are 17x7.5 so I'm only worried about the width of them.

The stock racing harts are 17x7 not 7.5 and have a 55mm offset I believe.

You can check fitment using this website: http://www.1010tires.com/Tools/Wheel-Offset-Calculator

I can tell you from my experience that 17x7 with a 38mm offset rub on the outside fenders in the rear when you hit a bump so I'm guessing that unless you get some really high offset 8" wheels they are going to rub or you will have to roll the fenders. I'd say a 17x7 with 42 mm offset would probably be safe. Basically, when using the calculator, you want it to say that the wheel extends 13mm or less on the outside.

OBX says it will fit the MSP ... But it wont if you look at the pictures theres nowhere to attach it to the turbo. However there is another ebay one for 200 bucks
https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned) If your tight on money then this is your best option... Stock from the dealer is like $2,000. also ive heard good things about this ebay manifold.. My friend has it and he had to have a machine shop flatten the surface because it wasnt tottally flat.. But since he got it flattened and installed he has never had a problem..

I would love to see proof that dealer charges 2,000 for a replacement manifold. Maybe manifold and turbo and down pipe

Latest posts

Back