Hello! New MSP owner. Some questions???

Eddie339

:
2003 Mazda Protege Mazdaspeed
Hello MSP owners and fellow forums members,

My name is Eddie. I live in central FL and just bought a 2003 MSP Black/Black. The car has a few extra goodies installed. It has a FMIC setup, Injen CAI, GReddy BOV, & aftermarket radio. Unfortunately the turbo is no bueno (no good). But I got the car at a great price. Nonetheless, I am hopeful to learn a lot about these MSP's here on the site. I hope to get help as this is my first boosted piston powered vehicle. I had a few rotary turbo RX7s.

I will search the forums soon but if you have any help in regards to what to do about my not-so-good turbo, hit me up with suggestions / links. I don't have alot of ca$h right now, but wanna either rebuild this one or upgrade to a little bigger turbo. If you have suggestions on a relatively inexpensive turbo that would work for now, let me know. I want to have the car as a fun daily driver. Not looking to pull 350-400+ ponies but would like to be in the 250-300 range in the future. Any help or suggestions that you can give, I will take it.

Thanks for your time and hope to educate myself with all of your help.

Eddie

Hello MSP owners and fellow forums members,

My name is Eddie. I live in central FL and just bought a 2003 MSP Black/Black. The car has a few extra goodies installed. It has a FMIC setup, Injen CAI, GReddy BOV, & aftermarket radio. Unfortunately the turbo is no bueno (no good). But I got the car at a great price. Nonetheless, I am hopeful to learn a lot about these MSP's here on the site. I hope to get help as this is my first boosted piston powered vehicle. I had a few rotary turbo RX7s.

I will search the forums soon but if you have any help in regards to what to do about my not-so-good turbo, hit me up with suggestions / links. I don't have alot of ca$h right now, but wanna either rebuild this one or upgrade to a little bigger turbo. If you have suggestions on a relatively inexpensive turbo that would work for now, let me know. I want to have the car as a fun daily driver. Not looking to pull 350-400+ ponies but would like to be in the 250-300 range in the future. Any help or suggestions that you can give, I will take it.

Thanks for your time and hope to educate myself with all of your help.

Eddie
Did the car have a full set of the factory Racing Harts on it? Did you get it for about $2,500? I'm just curious because I was looking at a car with a bad turbo in Florida last year for $2500 but it had one mismatched wheel which the guy had the other but was damaged.

No. This one has all four Racing Hart wheels on it. Got it in S. FL from my pops co-worker...

Welcome to the forums and the best color MSP club!

Does yours still have a stock Calloway exhaust manifold?

Another Garrett ball bearing turbo like what came with the car along with tuning will help to get you close to your HP goal. A disco potato plus tuning is even better. But like you said you don't have a lot of cash at the moment. So keep an eye out in the FS threads for a used stock turbo.

Welcome to the forums and the best color MSP club!

Does yours still have a stock Calloway exhaust manifold?

Another Garrett ball bearing turbo like what came with the car along with tuning will help to get you close to your HP goal. A disco potato plus tuning is even better. But like you said you don't have a lot of cash at the moment. So keep an eye out in the FS threads for a used stock turbo.

Yes, Mine still has the factory exhaust manifold. I would like to go with a disco potato, but with limited funds, I cannot right now. Next tax season, an entire different story... :)

If there is anyone that know of a place where my stock turbo can be rebuilt in the Central or South FL location, hit me up.

@Spiced - Thanks for the welcome. I am so lost right now but hope to gain knowledge on how everything works.

Welcome aboard, reach out to fatti03msp, he may have a few OEM turbos in his possesion, he lives in the Orlando area.

Yes, Mine still has the factory exhaust manifold. I would like to go with a disco potato, but with limited funds, I cannot right now. Next tax season, an entire different story... :)

If there is anyone that know of a place where my stock turbo can be rebuilt in the Central or South FL location, hit me up.

@Spiced - Thanks for the welcome. I am so lost right now but hope to gain knowledge on how everything works.

Welcome and you have come to the right place for knowledge. I still can't believe how much I have learn in my 2+ years on here.

I'll be down in Central FL this Summer, I'll try and hookup with the Mazda Group again and we can check it out! Good Luck with her and have fun, I have 125K on mine. Welcome aboard!!!

I'll be down in Central FL this Summer, I'll try and hookup with the Mazda Group again and we can check it out! Good Luck with her and have fun, I have 125K on mine. Welcome aboard!!!

Keep me posted where you meet. I would be interested to meet fellow forum members...

Welcome! Don't get discouraged if you have mountains of issues because, most likely someone on here has had the same issue. Good luck with keeping up with the msp. Fun car great and community here!

^^ Very true any issue you have I'm sure many of us have already fixed and can help you out. Welcome to the forums/community.

Latest posts

Back