Hellahorn vs Sickspeed horns?

Bought some sickspeed horns on ebay, went to install them today and cut myself trying to drill a hole in my new brackets i made... so 3 hours 2 stitches and a tetanus shot later and i still havent got the damn things installed lol

Ouch... yeah I cut my finger pretty bad thursday installing a sub in my friends jetta, there was blood everywhere... really should have gone to the hospital o_O
How do you like the horns?

Ouch... yeah I cut my finger pretty bad thursday installing a sub in my friends jetta, there was blood everywhere... really should have gone to the hospital o_O
How do you like the horns?

Much better than stock, although not as loud as I was expecting. I am gonna try connecting them direct to the battery and see if that is louder than when they are connected to the stock horn wire, and if it makes a big enough difference in the volume I will wire them in with a relay to the battery

Your fuse box has a built in relay that runs to your stock horn. You can splice the wire to run to both horns. I have been running that setup for over a year with no issues. You can wire it with a relay but it's not necessarily. Here is a link to wiring schematics

http://www.sickspeed.com/pages/wiring.html
I would love to put a compact air horn on my P5, but how difficult is this to do? Where did you mount the Sickspeed horn, and for a female who isn't super-skilled in wiring and such, how difficult of a job is this to do?
Also, did you use the disc style horn or the compact air horn? I like the sound of the air horn better than the discs.

Last edited:
I bought sickspeed horns, and im not impressed with them
go with hellas, mine wore down pretty quickly, now sound maybe as quiet as OEM

it took me roughly 30-45 minutes to take off the grill, take out the old horn and put two new ones in. if you follow the wiring diagram above (post #34) the one with out using a relay. its pretty simple, jet some extra wire and vampire clips and youll be good.

have had my hella for years on my P5 and never had issues, my Volvo has the Piaa Horn style and they are just as loud.

I just finished installing cadillac horns over the weekend. There are four individual notes (F, A, C, and D), and it sounds like a train. I don't have a video yet, but here's how I mounted them. They are wired with a relay which is activated by the stock horn plug. I soldered up my own wiring harness for them, and it is completely reversible if I ever decide to remove them. It took a little fiddling with and bending of the brackets to get them mounted so they don't rattle against the AC condensor or bumper support. I also wound up having to make some cuts to the backside of the grille to clear them.

Edit: Added video:

Last edited:
Any other feedback for the Sickspeed horns? They're down to $28 shipped these days. Is the the wiring harness worth it for $17 shipped?

Going in today!
885184_565330580153475_756895780_o.jpg

Last edited:
This thread so far in a nutshell:

Are Sickspeeds better than stock?

Yes.

Are Hellas better than Sickspeeds?

Yes.

Are Hellas worth the extra money?

Probably.

Are Sickspeeds still a perfectly viable, respectable alternative?

Definitely.

I'd also like to note that I've had the Sickspeed horns since January of 2012. Fourteen months with no issues.

update on my Sickspeeds. One year and four months after the install, they still work. However, while messing around with my front emblem today, I noticed the beginnings of some rust on the outer red rings.

Mine are mounted directly behind the upper grill, and my car is used 12 months a year, frequently traveling in to ski country on snowy, salty roads. Not making excuses, just providing some background information.

Basically, what I'm saying is that so far, they seem to be very reliable. However, in the rust belt, they may deteriorate. If you live down south, don't hesitate before buying these if you need louder horns.

Just installed Sickspeed Horns, with that said:

1) Nothing like the YouTube video tones
2) Used relay, and each horn as its own ground.
3) Tested each independently to see if they both worked well.

Not the same tone as Hella's ( a bit lower frequency). Nothing out of the ordinary like Cadillacs or Train Horns, but it will get you noticed. (sssh)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/69g2a15awiyk49z/IMG_20140101_205508.jpg

Last edited:
Back