Headlight bulb question

Omar MSP

Contributor
:
Mazda Mazdaspeed Familia
what are the corner side lights bulb sizes? not the one on the fender, but on the headlight at the very corner out towards the fender?

my car failed inspection because they were out. i didnt notice they were out. so i gotta fix that.

Good thing I scrawled down the numbers in my owner's manual back in the day, when I was changing out all the bulbs .. The 'front side-marker lights' are bulb number 194. They're just little-bitty guys.

Your shop doesn't just replace whatever needs replacing? Mine always has. Huh.

nah because you know how its a pain to put any bulbs on the protege. there making me do it.

hell, i'm having trouble putting the main headlight clips that hold the light in straight. so i gotta figure that out also.

i think i'm going to remove the whole headlight just to figure out how this clip goes back on... damn. that includes the bumper too... i wish i knew of a short cut. or a picture exactly how it goes back on.

Thanks for the number though!

I've taken out and put back in headlight bulbs more times than I can count .. Which 'clip' exactly are you having problems with? The silver hook-kinda one? Or the actually plug that's on the harness, that plugs into the bulb once it's seated in the headlight?

.. I can't remember how I got those little side-marker bulbs in and out, though. I haven't touched them in years. But I want to say you just twist, and then pull the bulb out.

the one with the hook is the one that is giving me trouble. the sidemarker i was going to twist and remove so i'm glad to hear i was going to do it right lol.

so yea, thats the only problem.

Headlights

RUSH

On the picture u have displayed, how did you get the corner light from yellow to the blue. I'm trying to have the same look but I cant figure out how to do that.

(shrug)

And does anyone know how to bypass the headlight system on an MSP ??
I mean I installed HID lights but I always have to keep them on because they flash if they're off and the handbreak is down.....

ps: Where can I get that front grill ???

Last edited:
anybody have any idea on the silver hook clips?
If we're thinking about the same part .. You have to push them 'in' (like in towards the headlight, 'away' from the center of the car) and push 'down' (towards the pavement) at the same time. It's like a hook-release. Once you fiddle around with it and get it free, you'll see what I mean .. Sorry my verbal description is so bad. :(

RUSH

On the picture u have displayed, how did you get the corner light from yellow to the blue. I'm trying to have the same look but I cant figure out how to do that.

(shrug)

And does anyone know how to bypass the headlight system on an MSP ??
I mean I installed HID lights but I always have to keep them on because they flash if they're off and the handbreak is down.....

ps: Where can I get that front grill ???
I'm not sure which 'corner' you mean .. The 'outside' corner, that have the amber reflectors, are the tinted sidemarker overlays that GhostOne mentioned. But I have Sylvania Silverstar turn signal bulbs for the 'inside' of the headlights -- so that removed the amber color and now they appear blue-ish.

What HID kit do you have? There's certain ones made for the Protege that are direct plug & play, no bypassing or wire-clipping required. I've never heard of a set of HIDs flashing because of the hand break ..

And my front grill is the carbon fiber one offered by DG Motorsports, though the Mazdaspeed badge is not included.

I'm talking about the one on the inside of the headlights(turn signal).
And as of the HID I have the Xenon Super Vision HID head lamp. And the problem Im having with them is that I always have to keep them on even during the day. If I dont turn them on, they start flashing like stobe lights.....

Oh and thanks for the info on the signal lights and the grill, its much appreciated !!!

(headbang)

Back