Have a few questions about my system.

:
97 Maxima SE 5spd
Ok, got the new sub in today, system is working fine. I'm using three MTX 6500 10's wired in parallel to an 800w kenwood PS amp. However, I noticed the new one is firing (vibrating) 4x times as much as the other two, it also rattles when hitting certain notes. It was suggested that I split the box, one box for each of the subs, or soundproof it. What do you guys think I should do?

GAspeedProtege said:
Ok, got the new sub in today, system is working fine. I'm using three MTX 6500 10's wired in parallel to an 800w kenwood PS amp. However, I noticed the new one is firing (vibrating) 4x times as much as the other two, it also rattles when hitting certain notes. It was suggested that I split the box, one box for each of the subs, or soundproof it. What do you guys think I should do?
Are you possitive that its the correct resistance and is wired correctly?

u sure its the same ohm sub? it should be vibrating at the same rate as the others, and if you are running all 3 in paralell from the same signal building a divider won't change anything but the box size, now if you were running each sub a seperate signal i would suggest dividing them.

GAspeedProtege said:
It's three 12ohm subs wired in parallel to a 4ohm mono load.
DOes it say 12 ohm or did you measure its resistance?

Is it bychance wired in in reverse? this would have theother subs working withit instead of against it... Meaning that they would be moving in, it would be moving out, and the extra pressure from the other two would be helping it along....

FTR, why are you replacing just one of a trio?

andyea, grab a multimeter and check resistance, it's really easy. check all 3 and make sure your other 2 aren't theproblem as well.

I replaced one because it blew, the other two are fine. The subs hit very hard, harder than before. It only seems to rattle at higher volumes and I'm starting to think I simply dont have enough power.

Note, I don't roll around blasting it as loud as I can all the time, my friends wanted to hear it. hehe, also, I really need to get some dynomat, my trunk rattle is terrible.

Heres how it is wired, I'll do my best to show.

Amp
-+

-+ +- -+
Sub sub sub
Pos and neg split into three seperate wires at the amp terminal then go to each sub.

umm... correct me if I'm wrong, but if they're 12ohm, to give you 4ish in the end, shouldn't they just all be wired in paralell?

isnt this parrell, i think u got them ran in a series..

Attachments

• 3_12ohm_svc.gif
    3_12ohm_svc.gif
    6.7 KB · Views: 79
shaneMazda2000P said:
isnt this parrell, i think u got them ran in a series..
yes^^ Exactly that. From what I can tell it's most likely those subs are now wired in series from that description. And possibly one reverse. All of the subs + terminals should be connected to the same point and all of the - terminals should be connected to the same point. + to - will be showing your amp some silly high load which is verylikely not getting much juice from your amp.

GAspeedProtege said:
Heres how it is wired, I'll do my best to show.

Amp
-+

-+ +- -+
Sub sub sub
Pos and neg split into three seperate wires at the amp terminal then go to each sub.
THe only 2 things I can think of that will cause this ( so long as the sub is kosher) is the middle sub being out of phase or the middle sub being a lesser resistance sub so it is getting more of the power.

Why did you draw the terminals for the middle sub backwards form the otherS? DO you have the amps positive terminal wired the middle subs negative terminal? If so that sub had better be mounted facing into the box and the other 2 facing out of it. Otherwise you have it out of phase so every time the middle sub fires outward the other subs pull in and make the midlle one fire out like a MO FO!
TO test this, just get a standard C, D, or even 9 volt battery and attach it to the sub box really quick like it was the amp. Positie sub wire to the batteries positive terminal and negative wire for the sub box to the negative battery terminal. ONLY TAP IT, DO NOT HOLD IT!
The battery will cause the sub to fire inward or outward. They should all move in the same direction. If they don't, the one that is doing the opposite of the other two is wired backwards, simply swap its negative and positive termials.

I realise these subs are made for this, but with out a model number or having ever verified the resistance of the new sub, you have no way of knowing if you definitly have the right driver.

Last edited:
Poseur said:
yes^^ Exactly that. From what I can tell it's most likely those subs are now wired in series
Read his qoute that I used in my last post, he is describing a parallel connection

so if im reading u straight, u took three wires and jammed them into your + terminal on your amp. then took the other end and went to each subs positive, then jammed 3 wires into your - and ran the end of each of those wires to your - on the subs. if this is the case, could you be gettting one good connection at the amp and two not so good connections since your trying to run 3 wires to one connection. when i run subs in paralel i take the + from the amp to the + of sub 1, then a wire from the + of sub 1 to the + of sub 2. and so on. this is a cleaner connection.

Sorry, I should have been a little more descriptive in the wiring. It is parallel, I verified it with the wiring diagram that came with the new sub. A pos and neg go to each sub, they all terminate at two points on the box, from there what I guess you could call two big RCA looking jacks carry the signal to the amp. I didn't assemble this system it was done professionally, I then later bought it from a board member, all I have done is replace the damaged sub. The reason I have the middle connection reversed is that on the back of the sub it is indicated which is pos and which is neg. On the other two the neg is on the left and pos on the right. Could that be my problem?

Latest posts

Back