Has anyone taken their car to Carmax?

Ljspeed

It seems im probably selling this car and going for new car. BUT has anyone gone into Carmax to get an estimate for them to buy your car? I think they say its good for 30 days. Just curious since I hope my advertisements next month hook someone to buy it. Im thinking their a dealer so they will give you "dealer trade in" figures right?

They lowballed the s*** out of me. Sell privatly. It takes longer, but is worth it.

Yes, you are correct. Their initial offer will be at or just below the amount a dealer would give you for the car as a trade-in. You're better off trading it in than selling to Carmax.

I will end up selling it privately or try that before I even do a dealer trade in. Ive checked many places like MSN and Autotrader to see how much ads are. These dealers are jacking up used MSP prices. Some listings were in the 16-17k range and one all the way up to 18,900K!!(shocked) Its good for us since its not a bad resale value and checking Edmunds/NADA confirms that but s*** ...some of us paid that when we bought the car.

I dont know, I got $2k more at carmax than at the dealer....but this was for a P5

I was quoted $2300 for my car 2 years ago all stock except for the 17's. I know my car is a 2000 DX, but come on $2300?

They offered my friend $9500 for his, with 28k miles on it, some minor body work from a previous wreck, and some scuffs. The same Carmax gave me $7500 for my Lancer OZ with 35k miles on it, a replaced fender, scuffed to s*** front bumper, nicked up rear bumper, and it used to be turboecharged. Go figure.

Pirana said:
I dont know, I got $2k more at carmax than at the dealer....but this was for a P5

Im with ya bro......my best offer for my P5 came from Carmax. Now that i think about it, they offered roughly $2500 more than any other dealer.

Just remember guys.......if your car has ANY! and i mean ANY! aftermarket mods, they will deduct a large amount on the offer. They need to have there cars in factory condition.......not like dealerships. They low balled my modded cavy Z24, but gave me a nice offer on my bone stock P5.

Last edited:
my friend took his 04 forenza there during chicago HIN 2005 and they offered him like $7200, it blue booked for almost $12000 at the time. The only mods he had were exhaust axle-back and rims. That was a rip-off! But we did get to drive their STi that was sitting in the showroom. (rockon)

benben84 said:
my friend took his 04 forenza there during chicago HIN 2005 and they offered him like $7200, it blue booked for almost $12000 at the time. The only mods he had were exhaust axle-back and rims. That was a rip-off! But we did get to drive their STi that was sitting in the showroom. (rockon)

suzuki resale values are not typically that good :(

CitizenPro said:
Im with ya bro......my best offer for my P5 came from Carmax. Now that i think about it, they offered roughly $2500 more than any other dealer.

Just remember guys.......if your car has ANY! and i mean ANY! aftermarket mods, they will deduct a large amount on the offer. They need to have there cars in factory condition.......not like dealerships. They low balled my modded cavy Z24, but gave me a nice offer on my bone stock P5.
Definitely true. It all depends on who checks out the car too. Obviously they didn't look over my Lancer very much, because all they turned up was a turned bolt on the fender. The fender had been replaced, so that wasn't a surprise. The surprise was they didn't notice that almost every bolt in the engine compartment had been turned for the turbo kit installation. But yeah, if you turn your car back to stock, you'll get more from CarMax. So, if you have any mods, trade them out for stock parts here on the forum and you'll get a better deal.

Captain KRM P5 said:
suzuki resale values are not typically that good :(

Yes, very true. He did end up trading it in on a 94 integra just before winter for little over $6000. That makes me not want to ever buy a brand new car!

benben84 said:
Yes, very true. He did end up trading it in on a 94 integra just before winter for little over $6000. That makes me not want to ever buy a brand new car!
Eh, just don't buy a car made by a crappy company. If you want to buy a Toyota or Honda, it makes sense to buy new.

Well this will be back to stock.. No Injen, Gauges, and especially no AWR mounts. They would probably say my engine is idling really rough and its about to go if I kept the mounts. I guess ill take a shot at Carmax and I may have a hookup there...hopefully he still works there. :)

Back