Hard Gear shaft when car is on slanted surface

kulkarnipb

:
2012, CX-9 Touring
I have 2012 awd cx9 touring . Odometer is 50k miles. I have changed transfer case oil twice recently ( with 500 miles distance difference).

I'm noticing that when car is on slanted surface, then changing gear is hard and need more force. If car is on leveled road then changing gear is very smooth.

I'm wondering- is it something common to everyone or just me and I need todo something to fix it.

Note - I'm having this issue even before I changed transfer case oil.So this is surely not related to new oil.

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Are you talking about when you shift from park to drive while on a slanted surface? if so It happens to me also. Sometimes it does it and other times it doesn't.

Are you talking about when you shift from park to drive while on a slanted surface? if so It happens to me also. Sometimes it does it and other times it doesn't.
Yes. Shifting gear - may be from park to drive or reverse to drive or park to reverse.
So it seems my case is not isolated. Thx for confirmation.

Yes. Shifting gear - may be from park to drive or reverse to drive or park to reverse.
So it seems my case is not isolated. Thx for confirmation.

yep, huge clunk when I'm on a slight uphill or downhill grade when shift from park to drive,

happens to me also when parallel parking, it is not fun, it's a like a loud clunk and jerk, not fun at all, once it was so harsh , I swore someone rear ended me but there was NO ONE behind me, it was coming from the transmission. One method I found was to pause 5 seconds after each shift to allow the transmission to catch up, if I don't, the clunk is noticeable to passengers.

This and also when slowing down from 5th to 4th gear there's a jerking/hesitation stopping motion also.

I'm starting to worry about the long term affects of these clunks and jerks, CX-9 seems like an difficult car to service, everything is so jam packed and hard to reach like spark plugs and water pump.

Last edited:
The clunk when going to drive is a common issue and will require replacement of the transmission control module. I just had this done under warranty on my 2012. The dealer will probably try to flash an update to it first and if that doesn't work they'll replace it.

If you are parked on a slope and do not use the parking brake, it will always be more difficult to shift to D or R. This is not specific to to just Mazda CX 9 - I have experienced this on my Honda Accord many years ago and also currently on my Acura MDX. Just make sure to use the parking brake when you parked on a slope.

If you are parked on a slope and do not use the parking brake, it will always be more difficult to shift to D or R. This is not specific to to just Mazda CX 9 - I have experienced this on my Honda Accord many years ago and also currently on my Acura MDX. Just make sure to use the parking brake when you parked on a slope.

Whenever i park the car (any car), i always first shift to neutral, then fully apply the parking brake, let off of the brake pedal and then shift to park. i do the exact opposite when starting up before driving off - that is I shift to drive or reverse as needed before releasing the parking brake. this way there is no added pressure of the weight of the vehicle on the transmission.

Back