GT Bose system?

I'm a long-time audio buff. If there's one thing that's held true, you can't demand high quality from BT and the like. And I'm not sure exactly what's behind BT, or where the technology currently is with it. But I can tell you there is absolutely NO substitute for 16/48 uncompressed PCM audio running over a hard wire connection, buffered into and through a head unit by quality drivers.

If you listen to compressed audio over a wireless connection, you'll get garbage out of a high end system. End of story.

I'm a long-time audio buff. If there's one thing that's held true, you can't demand high quality from BT and the like. And I'm not sure exactly what's behind BT, or where the technology currently is with it. But I can tell you there is absolutely NO substitute for 16/48 uncompressed PCM audio running over a hard wire connection, buffered into and through a head unit by quality drivers.

If you listen to compressed audio over a wireless connection, you'll get garbage out of a high end system. End of story.

Bluetooth audio is actually surprisingly good, running in excess of 320kbps. That is virtually transparent to the majority of people when used for high bit rate MP3s.

But I would absolutely disagree that transmission characteristics are the limiting factor in car audio - the background noise, and the terrible acoustic environment is. Many are hard-pressed to tell well encoded MP3's apart from lossless sources under ideal conditions, i.e. high end home equipment with headphones, silent environment and strong concentration. I'd wager nobody can tell the difference while actually driving in a car. I mean, the guy earlier in the thread claiming to hear jitter in the Bose unit's CD player? Absolutely ludicrous.

So as with everything in life, do your own personal trade-off between sensible laws of diminishing returns, irrational OCD, and confirmation biases. If you think you can get HiFi in a car by throwing enough at it, more power to you. Personally, I think you're nuts.

So as with everything in life, do your own personal trade-off between sensible laws of diminishing returns, irrational OCD, and confirmation biases. If you think you can get HiFi in a car by throwing enough at it, more power to you. Personally, I think you're nuts.

LMAO! Hilarious!

I think most folks here are just a *little* OCD. ;)

The premium sound system in the CX-5 is more than adequate. For the head unit to be worse than the new Mazda 3, not exactly fair, but hey...

Back