great car this + my opinion on the competion

borjeboy

Hello to all of you time to introduce myself, i'm a guy that for a longtime search for a new car in this segment. As for now i'm actually driving my mom's car we work different hours and live close so it has worked but anyway, it have given me the opportunity to try out a lot of cars here in Sweden.

So i have tried out loads of cars in what we in sweden called the Golf segment. (VW golf was the first one to be big here in that size and is still one of the most popular model in Europe).

I have tried Opel Astra (vauxhall) Actually a great car but they forgot visibality huge blindspots and that cluster of buttons in the centre console must been a guy that dreamed of a big remote controll that designed it, also it's quite expensive to buy and has poor resale value in sweden. You can make good deals if you find any one that is a couple of years old thou.

Kia Ceed to popular here because of the price tag and not really good at alll failing two brake tests in swedish magazines it's not good and also it feels slow but people just look at the 7 year warranty and the cheap price...,

VW Golf this is a good car but VW has huge problems in Sweden with there guys at the workshop basiclly there cars are to advanced for the mechanic guys to fix them....Also that flat bottom steering wheel i am not a fan of that

Seat Leon looks good but it's a cheap alternative to the golf and kind of crashes over bumps stiffer suspenstion,

Honda Civic (europes version, differs alot to the US, not really the same car) this one was good but odd styling made me not really like it from the outside.

Toyota Auris they should take toyota to the geneva convention for breaking peoples spines seriouslly, okey a little hard judge but it's to stiff and the steering is bad and the car is loud, (infact they fixed that with extra soundproofing in the estate version but i'm not interested in an estate version).

Ford Focus overdesigned and those buttons in the middle looks a little cheap. But a good alternative but avoid the 1.0 100hk ecoboost cause seriously almost 14 seconds to 100 km/h that's slow every model of the golf makes it in under 10

And then we have Mazda 3, looks great from the outside, looks great inside ACC as standard is great. But also it did get warm really fast yet it was outside and it was around 0 degrees. And the steering i would say that it has the best steering of all this cars. Also easy to see your speed i liked that to. The ride can feel a little bit "hard" but the suspension makes a great work and seats are good so even in bad roads you won't end up with a hurt back (like in Toyota or seat). The centre consol having it up there is quite good (also it's big so you can see it) actually takes a bit of getting used to the control from down in the middle but it works great once you used to it (have never tried it before).
Also price is nice to 188000 swedish for vision wich is middle version in Sweden is about the same price as the Golf but with more BHP and more equipment

So I'm going to get the Mazda 3 when the winter is over, would like to have it now but don't want to crash it because of bad surface/ice.

Lol this post looks huge sorry if my english is bad it's not my native language..

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum. That was a nice comparison even though most of those cars aren't available in the USA. How long for you until the snow is finished?

Welcome to the forum. That was a nice comparison even though most of those cars aren't available in the USA. How long for you until the snow is finished?
Yes, Europe is hatchback lovers :p..

Opel astra is being sold on lots of different names opel is branded like holden in australia, Vauxhall in UK, Buick in Asia. And so on, no wonder they suffering from people being confused :p

But in general Ford Focus and VW golf are winning the tests here in europe.
The new Mazda 3 is to new here to have been in any bigger tests in Europe (or well i haven't read any and you can't trust the german magazines when there main sponsors are Volkswagen AG).

I have only watched one european test but that one was awesome for Mazda. Ending qute was "don't consider Mazda 3 as an alternative to Golf consider it as an alternative to Audi A3."

Winter/ snow season here ends in April (south part of sweden, but it can go on until may/june if we are unlucky, i'm going to buy one from a showroom, there is quite alot of Mazda dealers nearby (5 dealers within distance of 90km or less, probably gonna be 6 dealers by then, there is a new place being build and from what we have heard of that it's going to be pretty big).

Last edited:
forgot to mention that the manual transmission in this car is probably the best of all manuals. In fact don't think anyone will go for the automatic if they try this manual

forgot to mention that the manual transmission in this car is probably the best of all manuals. In fact don't think anyone will go for the automatic if they try this manual

I would also say the opposite, the Automatic is one of the best Automatic's I have felt in a car ever, especially at this price point. It feels almost as good as the DCT in my M3, just a bit slower obviously. But it is responsive and holds rpms when it should in turns when left in auto mode. That said I drove a manual for about 10 years and loved them.. just not able to do that anymore with the wife not knowing how to drive manual, plus its great on commutes with the adaptive cruise control, love that feature :) Manual or Automatic its a great car!!

After all manual transmission cars for 4 decades, I prefer a good automatic every time now. I'm not racing and the stop and go gets old after a while. Not to mention better mileage in most cases (and a happy wife).

okey, guess we don't agree on this one, but really you should try the manual i would say that is even better then the germans (VW and Opel) but i guess the automatic is good and popular in the US, automatic is growing in popularity in europe but mostly in big cars here.. and in company cars..

haha this is an article about car thiefs that didn't stole the car cause it was a manual and they couldn't drive a manual http://www.masslive.com/news/index.ssf/2014/01/springfield_police_would-be_ca.html

Last edited:
Back