Gravity Bleeding Brakes?

mtnbiker26

Bike Geek
Does anyone know if gravity bleeding the brakes works on the P5? I asked a mechanic buddy his opinion on the Speedbleeders and he told me that he uses the gravity bleeding method. I had never heard of it but I'm willing to try it if it works.

I used Stainless Steel Speedbleeders for 4 yrs including crummy CDN winters. Never had any problems.

I would also bleed them a few times a year for track days too.

either get speed bleeders or bleed them the normal way. "Gravity method" seems to be a lazy way to do it.

do it yourself then.
Get the little bleed bottle for $5 from the auto store, or make one, slightly crack the bleed valve and pump the brake. You'll be fine and it'll be done right.

What I do is....

Pass side rear -> Driver side rear -> Pass side front -> Driver side Front

- Use turkey baster to remove all old fluid in MC, fill with new fluid (no sense in pumping old fluid through lines from MC)
- Place plastic tube over bleeder valve on caliper, place other end into old water bottle (or other container)
- Use a flare wrench to loosen bleeder (using a reg wrench may strip corners), fluid will start to pass into the hose.
- Pump break pedal a few times, check MC and fill with needed fluid, pump some more, check to see if clean fluid is in plastic tube.

Ive seen guys just open the valve and pump away without using a clear tube. I prefer this way as it prevents air from getting back into the line, plus you can see when your running clean fluid.

Back