Goodyear Eagle RS-A Tires. Anyone have them?

RoadKing01

:
08 CX-9 GT Black on Black
I am looking at getting a new set of tires for my CX. My Yoko - Paradas have about 20k on them and getting low on tread. Also noticed that the tread blocks on the outer edge appear to be "flaking" off. They seem like the tread block is seperating from the tire itself. The Yokos handled very well and still do handle well, but this tread issue has me concerned. I am leaning away from them for the next set.

I am looking for new tires, and just started a brand new job that required substantial paycut. I really don't have the cash for Nittos or Michelins and was looking at the Goodyear RS-A tires. They are probably the cheapest tire I have found that fits on the OE stock 20 inchers. The reviews online are a mixed bag of great tires to total junk. Pretty evenly spread in between too. Anyone have any real world experience with them? My local tire guy says that they are not bad, and a new design was released in the last couple of years to make them better.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

I am looking at getting a new set of tires for my CX. My Yoko - Paradas have about 20k on them and getting low on tread. Also noticed that the tread blocks on the outer edge appear to be "flaking" off. They seem like the tread block is seperating from the tire itself. The Yokos handled very well and still do handle well, but this tread issue has me concerned. I am leaning away from them for the next set.

I am looking for new tires, and just started a brand new job that required substantial paycut. I really don't have the cash for Nittos or Michelins and was looking at the Goodyear RS-A tires. They are probably the cheapest tire I have found that fits on the OE stock 20 inchers. The reviews online are a mixed bag of great tires to total junk. Pretty evenly spread in between too. Anyone have any real world experience with them? My local tire guy says that they are not bad, and a new design was released in the last couple of years to make them better.

Thanks

I have them and have had them for about 10k miles. I love them. Very quiet not at all compromising with performance and a very well over all tire to have. So far I will definitely buy them again. Good brand tire that is also affordable... You can't go wrong. I live in sunny SoCal but tires seem to be wearing very well and also look good. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the response. I really appreciate the feedback. I am thinking about giving them a shot, but SouthWest PA sees some pretty crazy weather and snow is a major concern for me. I just had someone recommend Cooper Discoverer CTS tires as well. They are about the same price as the Yokos so I have to really debate is the extra money is worth it. I hate to skimp on anything automotive, but in this crazy economy I really have to weigh every purchase to make sure it is worth it. Thanks again for responding.

You can save on foods and clothes. I personally won't go cheap on tires.
So much is riding on them. Your life, your love ones.

This is really my first post here, so a little intro as well. I'm not new to cars or forums and recently traded my 2003 Suburaban Z71 riding on 33" tires for a gem of a 2009 Mazda CX-9 AWD with 80k+ miles. Wife wanted something a little smaller than the 'Burb to drive around town and park. Plus, the CX-9 actually fits in the garage! :) I have been quite pleased with the Mazda since it basically doubled our fuel economy and is quite a nice driver.

Now, on to the original question at hand. I drive a 2008 Trailblazer SS that came stock with the RS-A tires. I can attest from that truck forum's experience and my own personal experience that I will never put those tires on one of my cars again. They were horrible in the rain and even worse in the snow. Cornering was acceptable but definitely not the best for me. Granted, they were on a different car but I would agree with most of the negative reviews that you can find on tirerack.com for them. Instead, my TBSS wears a set of the Yoko Parada Spec-X's and my CX-9 is running a set of Continentals. I also put a set of Continentals (all weather performance) on a highly modified '89 Toyota Supra Turbo that I used to own and those were fantastic tires for all season traction.

Just my own experience and others may vary, but for me I would not recommend the RS-A tires.

This is really my first post here, so a little intro as well. I'm not new to cars or forums and recently traded my 2003 Suburaban Z71 riding on 33" tires for a gem of a 2009 Mazda CX-9 AWD with 80k+ miles. Wife wanted something a little smaller than the 'Burb to drive around town and park. Plus, the CX-9 actually fits in the garage! :) I have been quite pleased with the Mazda since it basically doubled our fuel economy and is quite a nice driver.

Now, on to the original question at hand. I drive a 2008 Trailblazer SS that came stock with the RS-A tires. I can attest from that truck forum's experience and my own personal experience that I will never put those tires on one of my cars again. They were horrible in the rain and even worse in the snow. Cornering was acceptable but definitely not the best for me. Granted, they were on a different car but I would agree with most of the negative reviews that you can find on tirerack.com for them. Instead, my TBSS wears a set of the Yoko Parada Spec-X's and my CX-9 is running a set of Continentals. I also put a set of Continentals (all weather performance) on a highly modified '89 Toyota Supra Turbo that I used to own and those were fantastic tires for all season traction.

Just my own experience and others may vary, but for me I would not recommend the RS-A tires.

I agree with tk421, i very much disliked the goodyear eagle rsa's that were on my infiniti fx35 and now on my new (used) cx9. I cant wait to get rid of them for some yoko spec x. I went form the goodyear rsa to yoko on the fx35 and it was like driving a new smooth and better handling car.

Thanks

You have 20,000 miles--aren't they still under the treadwear warranty? Tire Rack shows a 5 year pro-rated warranty. So, if you've had them 2.5 years, Yoko should pay for 1/2 of the cost of the replacement tires; I would think, if you are on a budget, that would still be your best bet.

You have 20,000 miles--aren't they still under the treadwear warranty? Tire Rack shows a 5 year pro-rated warranty. So, if you've had them 2.5 years, Yoko should pay for 1/2 of the cost of the replacement tires; I would think, if you are on a budget, that would still be your best bet.

When I look on tire rack they show no tread life warranty on the paradas. I bought mine from tire rack but doubt I would have much luck getting credit for them.

I agree with Ceric on not skimping on tires, but there are many times in life where paying more does not necessarily translate into getting a better product. My financial situation has gotten very tight due to a career change, and adding a 3rd child to the mix in the very near future. I just wanted to get some feedback from anyone who actually bought these tires, to see if they were as poor as the price would seemingly indicate. I am not happy with how the Yoko's turned out, so I am leaning towards the Cooper Discoverers right now. I appreciate all of the feedback on the Goodyears and, if I lived in a more temperate climate I would probably consider them. Unfortunately we can get a fair amount of snow here so I am going to play it safe and spend a little more.

Thanks again to everyone who chimed in. All feedback was greatly appreciated.

Longtime lurker, first post. I had Goodyear RS-A stock on my 2004 Mazda3. They were, without a doubt, the worst tires I drove with on that vehicle. The tread was gone in ~20k miles, the grip wasn't anything special, and they were noisier than the replacements. And to top it off, they weren't even cheap. The tires I really liked for my (and my wife's) cars were the Continental ExtremeContact DW since we live in Central CA and don't see snow. They were about the same cost and ride quieter, handle better and have already lasted longer than 20k miles. If you want to see myriad similar reviews of the RS-A not living up to expectations, head over to the Mazda3 section of the forum and see what people suffered with riding on RS-A from the dealer.

My front set of Yokohama Parada Spec Xs are starting to disintegrate, meaning that small chunks of rubber are peeling or have already broken off of the tread from the inner edge of the tire. These have been really good tires but surprised that I only put 26k miles on them and the front are exhibiting this condition. Has anyone else other than the OP seen this on their CX-9? If so, how many miles did you accumulate on your tires?

The passenger-side rear tire was replaced last year with a GY Eagle RS-A since the Parada Spec X was damaged due to a nail very close to the sidewall. Discount Tire could not get a replacement Parada Spec X since there was a national backorder. I am in a dilemma as to whether just replace the 3 Yokohama's with the GY Eagle RS-A or go back to the Yokohama's. I have never had chunks of rubber break off any tire in the past and questioning the quality of the Yoko's. I have road hazard on all four tires. Your help/suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Roadking, i totally agree with you on the paradas. They absolutely suck in the snow. I had replaced the original duelers with the paradas after seeing all the recommendations here on the site. What i should have noticed was the part of the country that they were located at. They are probably very good in the rain and regular weather but not the snow at all. When i bought my 9 new the first winter i was able to drive in 11 inches of snow with no problems with the duelers. To be fair if you look at the tread design of the paradas they look like something you would find in a sports car. They are also classified as street/ sport truck. Which is why they are probably not good in the snow.

Nitto NT850+ CUV is what I drive. 2nd set. they last anywhere from 35 - 50k depending on your driving habits and how ocd you are about rotating tires and keeping them properly inflated. I thought about the Parada's but they are reported to have a really short life span.

Eagle RSA is what CX-9's came with around these parts. Horrible tires.

P.S. - I just looked at a wrecked car that "lost it" on the interstate and then got hit by a semi when it spun out on the interstate. (i'm an insurance adjuster and inspect all sorts of cars.) Guess what tires it had? Eagle RS-A V rated tires.

Don't do it!!!!

Back