Glovebox power outlet(s) install

ljmattox

:
2012 Mazda 5 Grand Touring
Took some time today to finally install some extra power outlets in our 5. Here's what I did.

HPIM1084.JPG

Here's an idea of the usual mess of wires we have. The Sirius plug is a transformer as well, so it monopolizes the one front power outlet. Need more!

HPIM1085.JPG

I found this 3-outlet + USB power strip over the weekend, it's way too silver/shiny but I'm going to hide it in the glovebox anyhow, so no big deal. It's illuminated too, not that it matters.

HPIM1087.JPG

I read about "Add-A-Circuit" gizmos that you can use to replace a fuse, *and* add an additional one to run another circuit. Peeling open the passenger fuse box...looks like my seat installers used these to power my new heated seats! They used the "seat heater" and "cigar" fuse spots, good choices.

HPIM1089.JPG

I took apart the plug to confirm my guess on which wire they'd chosen for positive. The plug was lighted as well, sorta a shame to toss it.

HPIM1095.JPG

The "back" glovebox on my 5 has these nifty shelves on each side, which looked perfect to mount something.

HPIM1091.JPG

Quick dry test fit: like it was made for it. And it's adjacent to the fuse box, just over a thin plastic "wall", will be easy to wire.

HPIM1097.JPG

Plenty of sheetmetal nearby to connect a ground wire, I drilled a small hole for a sheetmetal screw.

HPIM1102.JPG

All wired up...gettin' a little cluttered, I'll install a real junction box somewhere one of these days. I used the rear power outlet fuse spot for the add-a-circuit.

HPIM1105.JPG

I used this 3M DualLock fastener to hold the strip in place, it's like velcro that "snaps" together. I use it on the motorcycles a lot, it's held my HID ballast in place on our touring bike for 5+ years, figured it would be just fine for this light duty!

HPIM1107.JPG

Here's the finished product...plenty of room for all the usual glovebox stuff still.

Last edited:
Took some time today to finally install some extra power outlets in our 5. Here's what I did.

HPIM1084.JPG

Here's an idea of the usual mess of wires we have. The Sirius plug is a transformer as well, so it monopolizes the one front power outlet. Need more!

HPIM1085.JPG

I found this 3-outlet + USB power strip over the weekend, it's way too silver/shiny but I'm going to hide it in the glovebox anyhow, so no big deal. It's illuminated too, not that it matters.

HPIM1087.JPG

I read about "Add-A-Circuit" gizmos that you can use to replace a fuse, *and* add an additional one to run another circuit. Peeling open the passenger fuse box...looks like my seat installers used these to power my new heated seats! They used the "seat heater" and "cigar" fuse spots, good choices.

HPIM1089.JPG

I took apart the plug to confirm my guess on which wire they'd chosen for positive. The plug was lighted as well, sorta a shame to toss it.

HPIM1095.JPG

The "back" glovebox on my 5 has these nifty shelves on each side, which looked perfect to mount something.

HPIM1091.JPG

Quick dry test fit: like it was made for it. And it's adjacent to the fuse box, just over a thin plastic "wall", will be easy to wire.

HPIM1097.JPG

Plenty of sheetmetal nearby to connect a ground wire, I drilled a small hole for a sheetmetal screw.

HPIM1102.JPG

All wired up...gettin' a little cluttered, I'll install a real junction box somewhere one of these days. I used the rear power outlet fuse spot for the add-a-circuit.

HPIM1105.JPG

I used this 3M DualLock fastener to hold the strip in place, it's like velcro that "snaps" together. I use it on the motorcycles a lot, it's held my HID ballast in place on our touring bike for 5+ years, figured it would be just fine for this light duty!

HPIM1107.JPG

Here's the finished product...plenty of room for all the usual glovebox stuff still.

Very Nice!

Thanks!

I was really frustrated with the lack of power adapters in my Mazda, and this was just the help I needed to install an extra in the glovebox! You are right, it really seems like the perfect spot to do it.

Thanks for taking the time to post all these pictures.

Have you had any issues with where you put your ground wire?

I just purchased a 2010 Mazda5 and am also looking into a few 'mods'. With this power outlet mod, do you simply drive around with the glove box open to allow the 12v device cords access to the cabin? Or does the glove box itself allow the cords to come out through the top or other location when it is closed?

Sorry, just noticed a question, 3 months later. There's plenty of "give" in the glove box door and clearance to allow any needed wires to come out, then shut the door. Everything we have coming out are thin, two-conductor primary wire, prolly 18-ga if that, so no biggy.

Well done - ljmattox. I am going to try to add this mod to our '12 as it still only has one socket up front.

Just a couple of questions,

1. The second photo of the fuse box looks like you used or added 3 "add-a-circuits" - did each 12v socket need its own fuse and power and thus its own "add-a-circuit". I thought that the orginal adapter just pluged into your single 12v power socket and powered all 3 of the sockets. So when you cut it off, you just wire it to one "add a circuit" and it powered all three of the outlets.

2. Has anyone added a couple of 12v sockets to the back of the console. We are planning on using two DVD players hung from the front headrests for the both kids to use. Also, the will be apply to power other hand held devices. The back of the console under the rear vents and controls would be a good place for power. Thanks, for any links to a thread on the topic. I planning on doing a search now that I finally passed the registration test but I have not got that far.

Thanks, Gil

Back