Get the Bose sound system on the touring or skip it and upgrade the 6 speaker system

:
2016.5 CX5 Touring
So we are looking at getting a 2016 cx5 touring. I am taking my time and trying to find the best deal. Seems most dealers want a lot for these things. If you look at NADA and KBB the dealers all want quite a bit more. I never can even get KBB value for a car I own and try and sell. I like to retain as much value as I can. I know with dealers you pay more and that is okay if it is a little more. 2 grand over KBB and then a 500 dollar dealer fee is a tad high for example.

My wife does not "demand" a moon roof but she wants a top notch sound system. I figured the bose sound system would be just the ticket but from what I read it is lacking. You get 9 speakers but they are just slightly upgraded paper cone speakers. When I have installed speakers in other cars I have chosen high end speakers like alpine type r's. They are not paper cones. I am sad that Bose would use such outdated materials in what is supposed to be a speaker upgrade.

Having said all of that, can I get a good sounding system with just 6 speakers if I replace them all with high end speakers and a good amp? Is there spots in the CX5 to add in the other 3 speakers?

I was reading about getting the Bose system and THEN also upgrading the speakers but the ones on the driver door are about impossible to upgrade because of the frequency they run on and because they are "woofers". I take it I will not be as limited if I chose the CX5 without the bose sound system.

It seems few 2016 CX5 touring models chose the Bose sound system. If they have it, they want a lot more for it. I am not sure it is worth a 1500-2000 dollar premium over a regular CX5 touring on the used market.

The 1500-2000 dollar premium you are referring to means HIDs, Mooroof, and BOSE...and polly even Blind Spot Monitoring in addition to other stuff I'm forgetting. In that sense cars like the U.S. spec BMW require a much more expensive package just to get HIDs.

From what I was reading the 2016 touring only gets the bose speakers and moonroof with that package. The tech package is separate if you want blind spot monitoring on the touring. I did not think the LED headlights even came on a 2016(non 2016.5) touring model no matter the package chosen.

I think BSM and cross traffic monitoring are std on the 16's. My 16 has the Bose and Moonroof package. The BSM and CTM is listed under standard features.

The upgraded Bose with 9 speakers sounds fine.

IMO, the Bose system in the 2016 is "good enough", but I wouldn't call it "top notch".

The Bose on the 2017 CX-5 is definitely not worth $2,000. Bose is included in a package that also delivers sunroof, navigation, auto-dim rearview mirror, auto headlights and the whole package is $780.

For 2016 CX-5 Touring therere 2 optional packages:

Moonroof and Bose Audio Package includes power sliding-glass moonroof and Bose Centerpoint 2 Surround Sound System with AudioPilot 2 and 9 speakers.

Touring Technology Package includes Navigation System, Smart City Brake Support, LED headlights with auto leveling, auto on/off headlights, Adaptive Front-lighting System, LED fog lights, LED daytime running lights, LED combination tail lights, rain-sensing windshield wipers and auto-dimming mirror with HomeLink (requires Moonroof and Bose Audio Package).

And yes, Blind Spot Monitoring、Rear Cross Traffic Alert、Mazda Advanced Keyless Entry System、and Rearview Camera are all standard for 2016 CX-5 Touring.

Remember not only Bose 9-speaker system uses cheap paper-cone speakers, but also theyre mostly 3 or 2 mid-range Twiddlers as Mazda eliminated two 1 dash tweeters for high notes from CX-5. The surround sound system is designed for movie-watching and the front center 3 dash Twiddler is louder than others. The rear door wide-range 5 speakers and D-pillar 2 Twiddlers are basically serve as the fill-in for surround sound system. A pair of 9 Nd woofers at front doors delivers low-frequency bass from a package much slimmer than conventional speakers but lacks of real punch.

If I were you Id definitely get non-Bose CX-5 and do the aftermarket upgrade with 6-speaker setup for much better sound quality. You can even have AA and ACP available with aftermarket head unit! RG_Flyer has done an excellent job with non-Bose audio upgrade for his 2016 CX-5 Sport MT6:

Install kits still good for 2016 model?

I have a 2017 CX-5 (vision packet in Sweden, with lots of safety features) with non Bose 6 speaker system. The sound quality is un engaging, specially on the radio. Actually, better with MP3 or CD. It has total of four 6.5" coaxial door speakers made of paper cones and a pair of tweeters, one in each A pillar. I am planning to change all the four coaxials to Hertz 6.5" coaxials and change the two timid original tweeters too in the first stage. In the next stage I plan to add a little Kenwood under seat active subwoofer KSC sw11. I have bought the four speakers and the tweeters but I have to wait until summer to begin the project since it is freezing out side here. I need DIY instructions for the "door panel removal" and the electrical connection schema before I can begin. I am hoping that some one posts a DIY before I can begin or some kind person posts a instructions on the door panel removal. If I am the first then I will definitely post a DIY.

The original set up is Base heavy and the equalizer needs to be adjusted to increase the trebble and decrease the base output. Hopefully this will sort itself out when we have the full range speakers with the tweeters.
Sorry, did not realize that most of the posts here concern the 2016 model and here I am talking about the 2017 model with non Bose system.

Last edited:
We have a 2016 Touring AWD w/no options. It has the 6 speaker audio/infotainment - no NAV; no sunroof; non-HID projectors w/high beams as DRLs; fogs, and it has blind spot monitoring [came standard].

As I learned on our 2004 Pathfinder with a BOSE system...BOSE stuff does not play well with non-Bose components. If you want to upgrade something in your Bose system, you have to basically upgrade everything or cut certain Bose parts (speakers or amps) out of the equation OR replace everything. I am glad our Touring did not have the Bose system. Others may like theirs, but we are happy w/o it.

To get better sound, it would be easier to go with a vehicle with the 6 speaker system and change out the speakers, add amps if necessary, and/or add a sub or bass tube (Bazooka) to augment the low end.

The two dash speakers are easily swapped. I have plans to go with the Infinity Ref 3022cfx 3.5" (2-way w/softdome/textile tweeter). These can be had for less than $90 on Crutchfield or possibly cheaper other places.

To upgrade the front and rear doors will require a bit more effort. The door speakers have large baffles/baskets (there are pics in other threads) and are the same as in the Mazda 3 (coincidence??). Depending on how you do it, you may end up destroying the stock door speaker, but it will be for the greater good. I also have plans to use the Infinity Ref 5022cfx (rear) and either the Ref-6522ex or Ref-6522ix in the front.

I had plans to run these Infinitys off the stock radio, no external amplification.

Then, if I wanted to, I could add a powered Bazooka tube (6" or 8") for added lows if I felt is was necessary.

This is me and my idea for upgraded sound for the CX-5 as it is the wife's daily driver and our road trip car. I like good sounding music, but know in the end this is not a Mark Levinson or B&O out of a luxury car. I also know that past experience with Bose in a car is enough to know to pass on it as it is "over hyped" on sound quality and too specialized for the casual upgrades.

The BIGGEST downfall in our CX-5 is the lack of sound deadening in the roof and the doors. Added sound deadener like Dynamat or Boommat will do wonders to improve the overall interior of the car. Yes, it will take a lot of work/effort, but worth it in the end.

We like our no-option CX-5 Touring AWD and don't feel we are missing anything. YMMV. (peep)

he @lodisej, what speakers did you end up putting in your CX5? I have a 2017 non bose, its not gonna cut it for me. I plan to swap speakers and do an underseat sub at some point.

Back