G-Series transmission tolerances

Twi7ch

:
2002 Mazda Protege5
So I just picked a 2002 P5 with low miles as a new project and am looking for a little info on the transmission. The ultimate plan is to turbo the car. I plan on getting a Fidanza 7lb flywheel, SPEC stage 2+ clutch, and I already have a TWM short throw in there. From what I've heard, however, is that the G-series transmissions don't hold up very well to boost, and that it won't hold more than 200lb/tq before exploding everywhere (exaggeration). I have also heard that the weak links are 3rd and 4th gear; and by replacing said gears with, for example, Par straight cut gears, that I should be able to run near 295lb/tq. Now these are just numbers I've heard being thrown around. Wondering if any of you have had experience with G-series failiure under boost or have experience with replacing gears for better tolerance?

My p5 has been turbo 2012. It has 297ft/tq and 304hp with the stock tranny, exedy stage 1 clutch and its still holding up. I have PAR straight cut 3rd and 4th in my closet just in case they do break one of theses days. I guess I've been lucky though I've heard of people with less hp breaking trannies.

I think a lot of it has to do with how much you abuse the trans...some people are not too kind to their vehicles

Are you babying it? I wanna be able to do track days and not worry about my s*** blowing up when I'm actually driving hard.

Back