"funny" key card story

musicola

CX-9 story from our dealer - I don't know the people but I heard about it -

A lady dropped her husband off at the airport curbside. He left with the key card and she drove off. Oops. (Apparently the beeping eventually stopped?) She couldn't even turn the car off. She had to drive to the dealer (luckily it was during a weekday) to get them to program a new key.

This has happened to us many times when my wife has hopped out to run into a store while I'm driving. But I've always heard the beeping and been able to yell at her to dig the key out of her purse.

Oh, yes. If you have the "key card" thing, there is a knob to turn, but you don't put in a key. The knob is locked unless the key card is within 3 feet or so.

Someone with a GT please start their car and walk away. Let us know what it actually does. This would be really silly. Thanks.

It stays on, I've left my car running and ran inside to get somethignI forgot.

I'm confused..why would that stop the car from being turned off? Is it pushbutton start / stop?

The only thing I can figure is they could not turn it off because they would not be able to re-start it without the key card.1(scratch)

I guess it is convenience over safety.

They probably figured it was the lesser of two evils. If you start driving and suddenly the car shuts off (losing power steering and power brakes), that's probably not such a great idea either.

I'm guessing Mazda figured there would be fewer lawsuits for a car being driven away without the key than from a car stalling in traffic (or even worse, pulling into traffic).

I have also left my car on and gone into my house for over 10 minutes and the car remains on. one other thing i tried recently was to drive the car without the key close by.

My wife went into the house with the key and I drove the car forward about 20-30 feet then reversed to prior position. No issue noted, car functioned regularly.

The only thing I can figure is they could not turn it off because they would not be able to re-start it without the key card.1(scratch)

That makes the most sense to me. If she turned it off at the airport, she wouldn't be able to turn it back on, so her best bet was to try to go get a new key right away.

Back