Full Sized Spare For 2017 CX5 - 225/65R17 Questions

:
2017 CX5 AWD Touring
Will a full sized spare FIT in the well area in the trunk where the current donut is located?

Also, where can one find a Mazda 17" rim with the TPMS sensor? I am looking to have a full sized spare on hand as the donut is a joke with AWD and if one gets a flat on a road trip.

Will a full sized spare FIT in the well area in the trunk where the current donut is located?

Also, where can one find a Mazda 17" rim with the TPMS sensor? I am looking to have a full sized spare on hand as the donut is a joke with AWD and if one gets a flat on a road trip.
I wouldn’t use a full-sized spare as the spare tire well simply is not deep enough to fit. It’d be difficult to use a trunk floor which has raised 3 ~ 4” due to the wider spare tire.

This’s what I did for the spare on my CX-5 AWD with a T155/90D18 103M compact spare which has the same outer diameter as the road tires. And this’s the tire size listed on Mazda’s specs for CX-5 AWD on Mazda’s website in early days.

2017 Spare Tire Mod for U.S.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
⋯ Also, where can one find a Mazda 17" rim with the TPMS sensor? I am looking to have a full sized spare on hand as the donut is a joke with AWD and if one gets a flat on a road trip.
For TPMS sensor in tires on gen-2 CX-5, you can find cheaper aftermarket sensor such as Autel MX-Sensor TPMS programmable sensor. Here would be be a problem on a full-sized spare with TPMS sensor. Mazda’s TPMS is designed for 4 sensors, I’m not sure how the system would react with 5 sensors around. Not to mention if the 5th sensor is an aftermarket one. ;)

Upvote 0
I went the full sized spare route on my 2020 GT, removed the square foam chunks and laid a couple of 2 by 6 chunks on each side of the tire to support the floor. It probably lets more sound out of the woofer. I have a couple of new wheels/tires/sensors and my replaced spare if someone in Atlanta area is interested.

Upvote 0
This is from previous post in my sleek and modest offroad mod thread. This is a Kia Sorento 165 90r17 spare rim/tire combo.
I refinished and painted.
It is the next best thing to a full size tire. It's 165 mm wide and just as high as full size. Some older Mazdas and some CX9 also had this size spare. It's the perfect size spare for the vehicle. only had to trim the foam a little and it doesn't raise the trunk panel.

If you can find one online in good shape, buy it. It's worth the $$ to buy and not have to restore rusted one from junkyard.

The above is spare for daily driver.
When off-roading or long distance vacation, full size spare will go on roof.

See posts 56 and 57 of thread 'CX5 sleek and modest offroad mods".

Attachments

• mazda cx5 with kia sorento 165 90r17 spare.png
    mazda cx5 with kia sorento 165 90r17 spare.png
    283.8 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Full-size and spare tires from smallest to largest :

TireTire SizeDiameter
Mazda CX5 standard spare **145 90r16=26.26 Inches
Mazda CX9 spare or CX5 diesel spare155 90r17=27.99 inches
Mazda CX5 17" wheel225 65r17=28.50 inches
Mazda CX5 18" wheel substitute225 60r18=28.60 inches
Some Mazda, and Kia 17" spares *165 90r17=28.70 inches
Mazda CX5 19" wheel225 55r19=28.74 inches
Mazda CX5 16" wheel substitute235 70r16=28.94 inches

* The 165 90r17 spare is the closet to all the standard Mazda tires and is probably the most optimal spare. Any spare should only be driven for short distances and at low speeds. This size, however, has more contact patch and is optimal diameter.

** The 145 90r16 spare is way off dimensions and if driven anything more than a short distance will definitely cause accelerated wear on your differential / powertrain, etc. Even if driven temporarily, this could potentially cause some unseen damage to the differential, however slight that may be.

Upvote 0
Back