Fuel filler neck

thrasher

Contributor
:
'02 Protege5
On most cars there is a little spring loaded 'flap' that gets pushed open when you insert the filler nozzel at the gas pump. It's to prevent any debris from entering the gas tank. But I don't have any little flap, I can see right down the neck.

Is everyone else's like this or am I missing a flap?

I think I've got something in my gas tank that gets stirred up and clogs the fuel filter after every fillup. Before I get my gas tank cleaned I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything.

When I first noticed this, I swore it had one in there when I bought it...I'm still thinking it fell off, but I guess I never had one...

ProtoType5 said:
When I first noticed this, I swore it had one in there when I bought it...I'm still thinking it fell off, but I guess I never had one...

I could swear I had one, I'm pretty good at noticing when something is different, and that 'missing' flap caught my eye this weekend for some reason. Hopefully I'm just crazy and there never was one.

Otherwise, maybe that's what is clogging my fuel...

Anyone else? flap or no flap?

NO FLAPPY
i know this becayse i overfill my tank and i'm always looking thru the hole to see the gas level..i had never had to move any flaps

in the other hand, my wifes jeep does have this flap

interesting

mines an 03. i bought it brand new in 02. i know it had a flap when i bought it, cuz i bought it late at night and had to fill it up myself. i noticed that flap cuz it was the first car i had that had the flap. its gone now, but i dont have anything that clogs my filter. im guessing its just floating around down there.

edit: unless it was just a thin sheet of plastic celophane or something??? hmmm... but i remember seeing it more than once. maybe most of yalls fell off when the dealership put gas in it the first time.

Just called my local dealership, they're 'pretty sure' that there should be a flap. But also said that if it did come off it would just fall down a little bit and probably get stuck in the rubber hose leading to the tank because it's a little bigger in diameter than the tube.

This still doesn't explain why after every single fillup from empty I get an erratic idle. I'm pretty sure it's because something is getting stirred up and then partially clogging the filter.

After a fillup, I start the car, and for about 5 minutes the idle will bounce from near-stall up to 1000rpm. It drives fine, but every stop on the way home for about 5 minutes I get this near-stalling bounce.

It's not the EGR valve, because it only happens after a fillup or occasionally after I brake really hard.

even if its not something clogging the filter, cleaning out the fuel lines is always satisfying... expensive, but satisfying.

Alejo_NIN said:
have you tried replacing the filter?
maybe even cleaning the fuel screen at the pump?

Not yet, but I think I'll have a look in there shortly. Should be easy enough to get in under the back seat right? Anyone have a pic of the fuel sending unit pulled from the tank?

I thought in order to replace the fuel filter you have to replace the fuel pump??

I also thought in our cars our fuel filters were non-accessible

Matthew1785 said:
I thought in order to replace the fuel filter you have to replace the fuel pump??

I also thought in our cars our fuel filters were non-accessible

I'm pretty sure there is a filter sock on the sending unit in the tank. It can all be pulled out of the top of the tank which is under the back seat.

I think...

So are we all crazy or did all the flaps fall off??????? I swear I had one for a while when it was new...I have never looked at it the same...Like it losts it's cherry to an oversized gas nozzle...No more gas tank hymen....sad sad day...

ProtoType5 said:
So are we all crazy or did all the flaps fall off??????? I swear I had one for a while when it was new...I have never looked at it the same...Like it losts it's cherry to an oversized gas nozzle...No more gas tank hymen....sad sad day...

I think we're crazy. I'm positive she had one.

Anyone have access to a flexible fiber optic attachment for a video camera? I'd love to find out where these flaps are going in our cars.

Latest posts

Back