FS DE rebuild specs

Kooldino

MOTM Winner Jan '09
Authorized Vendor
Contributor
:
MP3
I figured I'd start this thread for engine rebuild info, since so many guys will be doing so shortly. Any info would be good...torque specs, tips, etc.

hey koolindo, did you get in on the GB for the rods and pistons? If so have you heard any word from perf yet? He pmed me and said the rods were in but was still waiting on the pistons..

-B

azian6er said:
hey koolindo, did you get in on the GB for the rods and pistons? If so have you heard any word from perf yet? He pmed me and said the rods were in but was still waiting on the pistons..

-B

Yup, rods are in. Waiting on pistons.

TheMAN - Why not list tips and specs here? It'll make it easier for everyone.

remembering...
223639_26_full.jpg

what else do you want besides the torque specs?
I have a lot of pictures!!!
A few engine pics

Last edited:
igdrasil.....i meant to ask you this before...

you were able to do a full piston and rod swap with the engine in the car? any amjor problems in doing so?

YP5 Toronto said:
igdrasil.....i meant to ask you this before...

you were able to do a full piston and rod swap with the engine in the car? any amjor problems in doing so?

well, the piston/con rod assembly has to be removed from top of engine. This means you will need to remove the head w/ intake mani and exhaust manifold. Same thing to install them

But, you need to unbolt the con rod from the crankshaft from under the car. That means that you will need to remove the oil pan and the plate after that if you want more clearance, which has 3 bolts inside the transmission assembly, right under the flywheel in the block.

So basically I had the block in the engine bay supported from 1 mount and a tower under the block.

block_bay.jpg

how about NO? there are 2 pages worth of specs for EVERYTHING and I'm not going to waste my time typing it or scanning it

instead of bumming something off someone who bought the manual, why not just pay the 25 bucks for the whole manual that tells you have to do the tear down and get the specs?

lets make it easier for everyone and HAVE the manual with them while they're working on the engine instead of having to rely on running back and forth to the computer

if you can't "afford" the manual, you certainly can't afford engine parts

Kooldino said:
Yup, rods are in. Waiting on pistons.

TheMAN - Why not list tips and specs here? It'll make it easier for everyone.

not to mention the fact that it's illegal. that's mazda's intellectual property, you can't just go around posting all the tech specs or pages from a shop manual. giving somebody a FEW specs is okay, but re-iterating tit for tat for an entire engine rebuild is illegal.

When you're performing a tear down and rebuild of something as critical as a....uh...gasoline engine, don't you think the information would be a bit more reliable from a $25 manual (from the source) than it would be from something that has been reproduced through either re-typing or the like? Who knows what someone is posting is direct from factory print or hear say. I build engines as a hobby for race applications and can guarantee that I will NOT use specs found on a website. Granted this place is a great resource for information, but when it comes to torque specs and clearance tolerances, I'd much rather spend the money and buy a manual from those who originally produced the engine.

TheMAN said:
go buy the FS engine workshop manual... it's about 25 bucks from the dealer

This along with the shop manual was a lifesaver for me during my rebuild. Another good book to have is the Wiring Diagram Book.

Im sorry to say that the protege workshop manual doesnt have all the specs needed for a rebuild. I had to use a 626 Chilton manual to get some torque specs.

igdrasil said:
Im sorry to say that the protege workshop manual doesnt have all the specs needed for a rebuild. I had to use a 626 Chilton manual to get some torque specs.

Do you have the specific FS Engine Workshop manual AND the Protege Workshop manual?

kcbhiw said:
When you're performing a tear down and rebuild of something as critical as a....uh...gasoline engine, don't you think the information would be a bit more reliable from a $25 manual (from the source) than it would be from something that has been reproduced through either re-typing or the like? Who knows what someone is posting is direct from factory print or hear say. I build engines as a hobby for race applications and can guarantee that I will NOT use specs found on a website. Granted this place is a great resource for information, but when it comes to torque specs and clearance tolerances, I'd much rather spend the money and buy a manual from those who originally produced the engine.

You were the one that asked Ed to give the specs and tips though. Tips from someone that already did the work would be valuable...I agree though, reproducing or typing the FS manual would be kind of overkill if it is only 25 bucks, thats cheaper than a pair of decent studs...

So if anyone has tips, or potential problem area info, that would be more usefull...It would help someone avoid a potential problem, or at what time to aquire some friends for extra hands...

TheMAN said:
how about NO? there are 2 pages worth of specs for EVERYTHING and I'm not going to waste my time typing it or scanning it

instead of bumming something off someone who bought the manual, why not just pay the 25 bucks for the whole manual that tells you have to do the tear down and get the specs?

lets make it easier for everyone and HAVE the manual with them while they're working on the engine instead of having to rely on running back and forth to the computer

if you can't "afford" the manual, you certainly can't afford engine parts

I'm not asking you to scan or type everything. I'm asking for engine rebuild tips. Torque specs, pics (like idgrasil posted), etc etc. Anything that could be of use. Chill out.

cablemirc said:
not to mention the fact that it's illegal. that's mazda's intellectual property, you can't just go around posting all the tech specs or pages from a shop manual. giving somebody a FEW specs is okay, but re-iterating tit for tat for an entire engine rebuild is illegal.

Right. Telling someone a rebuild tip or a torque spec is illegal.

:rolleyes:

kcbhiw said:

Wow, I'm almost sorry I started this thread. Personally, I have the manual. There's more info than just what's in the manual.

Back