front shocks squeaking

Samcs06

:
08 Mazda 3 i
I have a 08 mazda 3 i and i was wondering if anyone else has encountered the same problem as me. i have noticed that in cold weather when i go over a speed bump or any kind of pot hole or rough spot in the road it sounds like the front right or left shock absorbers are squeaks/rubbing against metal. i took it to the mazda dealership and they replaced the sway bar bushings but the problem is still occurring.

it is not unusual to hear these noises during cold weather. When things warm up, the squeaking disappears? I would assume they would. I have had this situation with other vehicles when it gets cold.

Front and rear squeking badly!!!!!!!!

My 2009 Speed3 front and rear is squeaking really bad. It was -10 today here in Minnesota to today. Is this something I should have looked at?

My 2009 Speed3 front and rear is squeaking really bad. It was -10 today here in Minnesota to today. Is this something I should have looked at?

If it is for the reason that I stated above, it is nothing to be really concerned about. Fairly normal. Depending on your age, I am fairly sure you don't wake up on a cold morning and operate at the same capacity as you do say 3-4 hours later once you get a shower, coffee, and warmed up a little.

Yeah, it's probably the swaybars. It's a common thing on newer cars (stiffer rubber combined with heavier, safer cars and thicker swaybars). Shocks usually don't sqeak, they clunk or scrape.

If you want to make it go away, lube the swaybar pivot bushings on the front and rear swaybars. My 08' mazdaspeed 3 does this every year when it gets very cold out. The past few years I was using silicone spray lube, and it works for about a month or two (just enough to last me through the winter). It's fairly easy to spray the rear busihngs with the car on the ground, but the front ones are a bit hidden. You'll have to jack it up to spray those two. You can always ask your mechanic to do this next time you get your oil changed if you aren't the type to work on your own car. Since the car will be on the lift already it should cost nothing, or close to it.

For a more permanent fix, pull the swaybar bushings out and lube them with Energy Suspension bushing pre-lube. It's a clear, tenacious (only word to describe it), suspension grease that's waterproof, and will stay on there for years. It will also make your car ride smoother, since that noise you were hearing was the bushings sticking and creaking instead of smoothly pivoting.

I'm not quite sure why the manufacturers don't put something similar on at the factory, or use urethane bushings with grease fittings.

Yes, I've noticed the very same symptoms on my '08 3 i as well. Difference is, the squeaks can be heard in the summer also, when its 20C + outside. My initial thoughts were that the bushings for the lower control arm are the culprit. Is this possible? Only got about 19,200 km.

I'm having the same problem.. But we had a "thaw" up to ~38F over the last 2 weeks and they were still "creaking". And this was after the dealership had done a warranty replacement of the front sway bar bushings 3 weeks prior (5 weeks ago now). I sure hope they quit doing it when the temp goes back up over 45F...

Glad to know the problem is likely only auditory and not indicative of a bigger problem (such as a misdiagnosed bad ball joint; had one of those go out on my old '95 Proteg... $600 later it steered straight as an arrow).

lol i think i might try that lube thing. I just didn't know if i had did something or if this was a problem that alot of people have with their mazdas because i never noticed the noise until i hit a pot hole one day. i felt kinda bad about it

Hey. I have an 2004 Mazda 3S that sounds HORRIBLE over speed bumps. Been doing this for a few months, but I haven't gotten a chance to get around to it. I only hear the squeeks on the front end of my car as the front two wheels go over speed bumps.... the rear doesn't make any noise. I was looking into that "Energy Suspension bushing pre-lube" that destrux mentioned and I've seen a lot online for the Formula 5 stuff. I might order this and try it out. The next part I need to figure out is how to apply that to my bushings, since I'm a rookie when it comes to car stuff. Any suggestions? Anyone have any links to a walkthrough?

Sam - did you ever get this fixed?

Yea, i actually put it on last weekend. i decided to do it then since i was already replacing the suspension ( lowered the mazda down 1.5 inches in the front and back (cheerbanana) ) but yea it worked wonders. Now when i go over speed bumps it doesn't sound like a pos. thanks for the suggestion

my MZ3 hatchback GT was squeaking and i took it into the dealer last week. they found that my strut was leaking oil and fixed it for free since it was covered under the warranty. no more squeaks since.

Glad to see it fixed your problem. I gotta figure out where the hell the bushing are on my car when I drive it up my ramps.

I wish I could bring my car in, but the warranty is long gone. I'm not in the mood for dealership rape. (shady)

my front passenger side makes noise over speedbumps..i don't tear over them i go super slow and its like eeeEEEeeee! it's been up to the 50's here and mine still makes the noise. I'm not under warranty anymore either. =/ i'm putting on some ms3 springs soon so maybe i'll check things out while i'm down there. also....have you guys had any LOUD squealing if it's raining out and put your car in reverse? I had driven a bit in the rain then parked in the garage at school...left it there for a while and got in and put it in reverse to hear this obnoxious squeal.

Back