Front Mask

So are the vinyl masks certain death? Or will they work? Anyone in the NE area use one? It would only be for winter.

I don't think the vinyl ones are bad... just ugly, and if you leave them on in the hot florida sun, pretty soon your nose won't match the rest of your car.

Installed Clearmask myself

I live in Oregon, and they sand the roads every winter. I also have a 60 mile daily commute, so rock chip protection is a must.
My 08 MS3 is my 3rd car to install a clear-bra on, and was without a doubt the most difficult. The previous two were a Lexus IS350 and a Porsche Boxster.
I went with the full hood and bumper kit from Clearmask.com.
Now that it's done, it's great..... but getting it done was tough. The reason is that the hood has a massive curvature to it right at the nose. Additionally, where the rise is in the middle section, there are also 2 small valleys as it drops off to the sides. Getting all of the air bubbles out of those channels is extremely tough, while at the same time trying to stretch a flat piece of material over a massively convex surface.
So, if the MS3 is your first attempt at a clear bra, I wouln't recommend trying it yourself. But if you know what you're doing and have some confidence, for $400 you can wrap the entire front of the car with nearly invisible protection.
-John

Clear Bra Tools

Actaully, if you purchase from Clearmask they provide all of the tools. Spray bottles for soap and alcohol, trimming knife, squeegee and installation video demonstration.
The BIGGEST help will be having someone there to help keep the mask stretched and in place while you work the area with the squeegee.

-John

whats wrong with the mazdaspeed leather one?
ya it's fugly but hela cheaper than the clear one, I got one from ebay for 70 never got to put it on tho next summer when roadtrippin it'll most defo be on.
I've seen and ms3 with one it actually aint that bad but I hear it can actually scratch if applied wrong or may paint the cloud if left on for too long

whats wrong with the mazdaspeed leather one?
ya it's fugly but hela cheaper than the clear one, I got one from ebay for 70 never got to put it on tho next summer when roadtrippin it'll most defo be on.
I've seen and ms3 with one it actually aint that bad but I hear it can actually scratch if applied wrong or may paint the cloud if left on for too long

I think you've answered your own question.

I bought one of the Mazdaspeed ones and just use the hood lip. I have never even installed the bumper section. I use the lip during love bug season. I was going to try to sell the bumper part on here but most people think they look stupid so I never even tried.

I dont think they look stupid... I just dont want to F#$% up my paint job worse then if I were to go without one. I cant afford a clear bra. What other optionds do I have?

Anyone in the MA area ever install one of the clear ones? Perhaps someone could lend me a hand?

-Pete

I dont think they look stupid... I just dont want to F#$% up my paint job worse then if I were to go without one. I cant afford a clear bra. What other optionds do I have?

Anyone in the MA area ever install one of the clear ones? Perhaps someone could lend me a hand?

-Pete

I've had the hood lip on and off many times, it has helped keep the bugs & rocks off my hood without doing any damage and I think it works/fits great. The bumper portion isn't a basic strap-on bra like the "LeBra's" I have seen in the past. It looks a much better and secure fit so IMO it wouldn't do any damage if properly installed and maintained. But as I said, I have never installed that part of it.

Im wondering if i should just try the mazda front mask, and if it messes everythign up, have the paint touched up. I have painted the front of a car before and it was cheaper then the clear bra option last time i checked.

Either that or get a do it yourself kit. I am not sure if I am skilled enough however to put one of these on.

I have an OEM Mazdaspeed Car Bra, and love it. It fits nice and snug and doesnt scratch or cause any damage. Install and maintain it properly and you'll have no problems. I take it off when I know I will be in the city for an extended period of time, and put it back on when I drive the highways.

Here's a pic from today:

Mazdaspeed3Pictures075.jpg

I have an OEM Mazdaspeed Car Bra, and love it. It fits nice and snug and doesnt scratch or cause any damage. Install and maintain it properly and you'll have no problems. I take it off when I know I will be in the city for an extended period of time, and put it back on when I drive the highways.

How long do you leave it on for? Do y ou get debris under it? Any cloudy spots? I would probably be leaving it on for a week at time, taking it off on weekends. I drive 84ish miles of highway each day Mon-Fri. I could take it off on weekends and clean it if need be.

The other option im looking at is one of the diy 3M kits off ebay for $200

alrite it doesn't put you in a "cool" group but at least it will save ur front!
Looks like the new 2010 spy shot tho lol

Last edited by a moderator:
How long do you leave it on for? Do y ou get debris under it? Any cloudy spots? I would probably be leaving it on for a week at time, taking it off on weekends. I drive 84ish miles of highway each day Mon-Fri. I could take it off on weekends and clean it if need be.

The other option im looking at is one of the diy 3M kits off ebay for $200

The longest I have left it on for was for 4 weeks. Did over 10,000kms of highway driving over those 4 weeks. I put it on because during the winters they sand the highways so you have tiny pebbles being thrown up all the time.

No debris under it, and I dont see how this is possible due to how tight it fits. I put on a heavy coat of wax on the panels, and I have no cloudy spots, and the paint looks mint under the mask. However my headlights have taken quite a beating from road debris.

Do they salt your roads as well? Here we get sand and salt. My worry is the salt could disolve on a warmer day in melting snow, get trapped under the mask and when it dries, the salt will crystalize, becoming abrasive.

Maybe i should just do it and stop over thinking. My MS3 is the most valuable thing i own at the moment, and my pride and joy (im single, no kids and dont own a house :) ...though it might trump all of those things anyway).

I want to make sure i protect it, but $$ is a factor at the moment

Back