Fog Light Dash Indicator?

yeah, would be nice to have (yet another) dash indicator

but really - the FL switch has 2 positions - not a big deal to twist up to make sure it's off, down to turn them on

Lot of hub bub over nothing. If you can look at a dash light you can slightly tilt your head to look at the stalk.

Just some interesting side notes on Mazdas in Australian market.

• In Australia an extended warranty is only one year beyond the factory three...although it is unlimited mileage

• Akera level model in Australia fully decked is $37,908 USD. ($51,962 AUD) / Diesel Akera would be $40,360 USD.

Just some interesting side notes on Mazdas in Australian market.

In Australia an extended warranty is only one year beyond the factory three...although it is unlimited mileage

Akera level model in Australia fully decked is $37,908 USD. ($51,962 AUD) / Diesel Akera would be $40,360 USD.
Yeah, CX-5 is more expensive in Australia than in the US hence Mazda may pack more features there. But every car is more expensive in Australia! Why others can make those features available in Australia also available here in the US but Mazda can't???

To me, Mazda spent time and money on re-designing to eliminate those features may not worth the cost for the change. Most car manufactures only re-design the features which are against local law and leave most features unchanged.

Lot of hub bub over nothing. If you can look at a dash light you can slightly tilt your head to look at the stalk.
Again, can't see stalk when it is dark . . .
(whistle) And if inlinev and GAXIBM's theory is correct, why do we have lights-on indicator? We should always be able to see the switch position on stalk in the dark to know if the lights are on? Not to mentioned you can't easily see the symbols on the light switch stalk even during the day as they're blocked by the steering wheel spoke.

Besides, fog light switch position has no guarantee if the fog lights are actually on or not.

Is this ENTIRE thread really about lack of an illuminated fog light indicator?

Really?

I did change my fogs to LED but looking at them I don't personally find them that bright.

No laws in WA state about turning off fog lights so my headlights are set to AUTO with fog lights on. Even with my LED DRL's I haven't noticed any flashing or glares.

(whistle) And if inlinev and GAXIBM's theory is correct, why do we have lights-on indicator? We should always be able to see the switch position on stalk in the dark to know if the lights are on? Not to mentioned you can't easily see the symbols on the light switch stalk even during the day as they're blocked by the steering wheel spoke.

Besides, fog light switch position has no guarantee if the fog lights are actually on or not.

Generally when your headlights are on you can see them through the windshield:)

Generally when your headlights are on you can see them through the windshield:)
Agreed. I can certainly see that mine are on provided it is dark outside.
That's why we have "Lights-On" indicator in the dash, including our CX-5, so you can tell if your lights are on or not in any situation, even if it's bright outside and your lights are not supposed to be on. Fog light indicator serves the same purpose, hence now an international standard. Not like other car manufactures, Mazda elected to redesign the wirings, and eliminated the fog indicator(s) only for US/NA market just because there is no law requirements?

Mazda is crazy in some aspects. Pennies saved in dash indicator but lot of bucks in lights which turn with steering! Go figure. I have it and don't even know what it does and how it's helping. I am 100% fine without it and it for me adds zero value.

To be frank: My family does NOT like the car, I do. There are these multiple small, small things which just add up, in interiors and I don't assume it would have inflated the cost a lot to have them. Let's see:

1. No power seat for passenger
2. No memory seats
3. Non heated side mirrors
4. Non heated rear (especially when leather) seats
5. No light in glove box
6. No rear fog lights
7. No rear vents
8. No rear reclining seats, little bit
9. No temp display for coolant just some lights
10. Lack of power points:12v/110v
11. No footwell lights
12. Difficult to use buttons being non lighted, driver side
13. Useless coin holder cubby

wtf is the use of rear fog lights? drive in reverse a lot ?

was never a coin holder cubby - in previous models had other function/separate instrument panel

sounds like you need to sell it and move on, chalk it up to not researching, and personally testing the vehicle/trim via extensive family debate and discussions before buying

wtf is the use of rear fog lights? drive in reverse a lot ?

In the UK, rear fog lights are very useful especially when its foggy. When approaching the rear of the car you can see it a lot sooner than if the rear fogs were not switched on thereby avoiding a possible accident.

To me, your list of missing items contains a lot of useless fluff. To each their own, I suppose. I find myself shaking my head at what some of the competition can't get right. Take, for example, the CR-V. Want mirror turn indicators? You have to go to the top trim level. How about a true blind spot monitor, rear cross traffic alert, or transmission manual mode? You can't find those on any trim level!
Mazda is crazy in some aspects. Pennies saved in dash indicator but lot of bucks in lights which turn with steering! Go figure. I have it and don't even know what it does and how it's helping. I am 100% fine without it and it for me adds zero value.

To be frank: My family does NOT like the car, I do. There are these multiple small, small things which just add up, in interiors and I don't assume it would have inflated the cost a lot to have them. Let's see:

1. No power seat for passenger
2. No memory seats
3. Non heated side mirrors
4. Non heated rear (especially when leather) seats
5. No light in glove box
6. No rear fog lights
7. No rear vents
8. No rear reclining seats, little bit
9. No temp display for coolant just some lights
10. Lack of power points:12v/110v
11. No footwell lights
12. Difficult to use buttons being non lighted, driver side
13. Useless coin holder cubby

Old Zen trick - be grateful for the positives. You'll enjoy your Mazda (and life) more.

Back