fmic help?

:
2003 Mazda Protege
im going to be installing my altered customs kit tomorrow and was wondering what would be the best way to mount the core. i did some searching and couldnt find anything. also, what do i do with the IAT sensor thats next to the MAF? i didnt see anywhere that it would go. who knows though, i might just be stupid haha

the iat sensor can sit in the engine bay, or go in the intake depending on which one you have

na. i have the iat sensor(if i think i know what that part is) unplugged cause i switched to sri setup and i see no difference or anything

IAT makes a decent difference if you monitor your AFR's. I had my IAT sensor go bad on me and not only did it end up drawing more power (meaured via voltmeter) but it also threw a CEL. Although it is not vital to your car operating, it is meant to be part of the closed loop control system so it's best to leave it in a location like stock. I had the MAF relocated on my old P5 with the IAT in a like-stock location and I always wondered if some of the relocated-related issues could be solved if the IAT could somehow be moved to the pressure sure near the MAF like stock. Also, if IAT's start to read too high it can cause your engine to start dumping fuel (measured via wideband during long trips through mountains) in attemps to cool engine temperatures.

Short answer, leave it in the intake pipe. You may not notice a difference, but it's how the system is supposed to work.

This is what I did. Hope this helps.

Attachments

• DSCN4190.JPG
    DSCN4190.JPG
    587.6 KB · Views: 110
  • DSCN4191.JPG
    DSCN4191.JPG
    682.4 KB · Views: 112
  • DSCN4189.JPG
    DSCN4189.JPG
    301.7 KB · Views: 121
  • DSCN4192.JPG
    DSCN4192.JPG
    382.6 KB · Views: 115
got the core mounted and most of the pipes ran, but the couplers and clamps that connect to the core are too small and the final pipes before the core arent lining up right. tomorrow i need to run to some auto parts place and pick up a few more couplers to try and make it fit

I'm getting those couplers/clamps sent out to you today, I apologize, I never check on here much anymore and I made an error on the coupler sizes for the FMIC, I just did not realize it until I checked. I will let you know delivery confirmation number asap, email me when you get a chance, thanks.

thanks Jen. i already had the couplers ordered though lol. noone around here had them in stock so i should have them tomorrow. also, the 90 degree coupler from the BOV pipe to the L pipe is kinda close to the manifold. im not very familiar with the properties of silicone, but i dont want it to melt on me. i sprayed the mani with VHT hi-temp header paint so that should disperse some of the heat but im still a little worried about it. any info would be great :)

Ah, okay. Sorry about that. With it being close to the mani, which mani do you have? The MAM is a tight fit I know but it only touched in one area of the coupler against the front of where the clamp was so it wouldn't affect the coupler itself.. it didn't touch at all with the stock or Steedspeed. It will be fine for it being close, here are a couple pics though.. it should go parallel with the manifold.

100_4089.jpg

IMG_0512.jpg

Last edited:
Jen, where is the bov mounted at in theose pics, i am looking to mount mine on the cold pipe between the throttle body and MAF

I had mine on the hot side, the bov flange pipe was turned upside down so that it couldn't be seen, also added a nice sound since it pointed toward the passenger side where it was nice and open. You would actually want to mount yours (if you are definitely doing it on the cold side) about 8" away from the MAF.. it goes Throttle body --> MAF --> BOV if you did it that way.

Jen, where is the bov mounted at in theose pics, i am looking to mount mine on the cold pipe between the throttle body and MAF

IAT makes a decent difference if you monitor your AFR's. I had my IAT sensor go bad on me and not only did it end up drawing more power (meaured via voltmeter) but it also threw a CEL. Although it is not vital to your car operating, it is meant to be part of the closed loop control system so it's best to leave it in a location like stock. I had the MAF relocated on my old P5 with the IAT in a like-stock location and I always wondered if some of the relocated-related issues could be solved if the IAT could somehow be moved to the pressure sure near the MAF like stock. Also, if IAT's start to read too high it can cause your engine to start dumping fuel (measured via wideband during long trips through mountains) in attemps to cool engine temperatures.

Short answer, leave it in the intake pipe. You may not notice a difference, but it's how the system is supposed to work.

This is correct. Also I think it should be located on the cold pipe. That temp is diffrent from the hot pipe. I know the ecm is wanting to know what the charge temp is to know how much fuel is needing to be added or in some cases how much timming should be pulled. Not sure if this is how it is done on the Mazda setups but I know this is needed in the Ford world.

Latest posts

Back