Flywheel and Crank Pulley Removal Question

ForceFed

:
Trailblazer SS AWD ....Still a Mazda Junkie Though.
I am at the point ready to remove the Flywheel and the crank pulley....And I know the flywheel is balanced with the engine....How do I mark this for reinstallation after the motor is back from the machine shop...Or does it only go on one way?
Is there an alingment pin?
Will the machine shop remove it if there is?
I just want t make sure these go on how they should.

Same with the Crank....Does it need to go back on exactly in the same position in relation to the Crank?

My Rebuild manual does not mention this or my bad eyes keep passing over it.

Any Help will be appreciated.

Not 100% certain but I thought the crank pulley had a key so that it could only go on one way
That one I kind of figured...otherwise It will slip...But the FLywheel can go on in Six different positions.
Is the flywheel balanced independantly of the engine or is it done as a rotating assembly?

It's done independantly. The pressure plate and flywheel are done together though, just line up their paint marks.

It's done independantly. The pressure plate and flywheel are done together though, just line up their paint marks.
Well thats irrellevant considering the Spec will be going back in.
But good deal..I am gonna go out and finishing prepping this motor...I would like to finish getting it stripped tonight so The block and head can go to their respective shops tomorrow or tuesday.
A long timke comin' for this build...but its well under way now.

This motor was reletively easy to pull minus a few stubborn bolts.

Ya I got mine stripped down yesterday. I'll pull the crank Tuesday probably then send it out to get measured.

I'm actually gonna Take the block in whole...Crank pistons and all.....Let them Diassemble it and Reassemble it with the new Rods,pistons and bearings.
I might even have it sent out for balancing as well...I am talking to them about it when I drop it off....It all depends on how long they think the turn around will be.
The shop that does their balancing is usually very busy.

On another note....My damn alternator is locked up...so there is some more bucks.
I am seriously considering swapping it out for a differnt unit like a single wire GM with a bit more output.
I am also seriously thinking about Ax'ing the A/c since this will be primarily a fun toy car and it will allow me a lot more clearance for a bigger smoother radius DP as well as more Airflow through the FMIC and Radiator.

Last edited:
Definitely ditch the A/C... frees up so much for your IC piping and downpipe like you mentioned. Also takes some clutter and weight out of the engine bay :D

Back