First Ticket... omg.

xvdarkyvx

:
Silver Mazda Protege 5
Alright... Got my first ticket, but I don't think i deserved it. So I turned onto 3 lane one way street and there was a parked truck in the lane i went into so i changed lanes. Then i was going to change back but some poor bicycle person carrying trash bags was in the lane going the opposite way. So then i looked at my speedometer and I was still going the speed limit and then i turned and looked at the light and it turned yellow. so i slam on my breaks, and they screech a little, but i stopped before the limit line. The cop pulls me over and writes me up a ticket. he searches through his handbook of what to write me up for a while, but couldn't find something until a few minutes and a few pages have gone by. He wrote me up for basic speed law violation. http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d11/vc22350.htm So I was wondering if I could contest it because hitting your breaks to stop intime is against the law? i stopped in time didn't run anything and my tires screeched a little. that's about it. The law quotes,
"22350. No person shall drive a vehicle upon a highway at a speed greater than is reasonable or prudent having due regard for weather, visibility, the traffic on, and the surface and width of, the highway, and in no event at a speed which endangers the safety of persons or property. "

It was clear and a good day, and there wasn't any traffic and I didn't endanger anyone. I tried to prevent it by stopping and no one was there. It always states for highway. So what can I do? Could I contest it and have a chance of winning? Thanks.

I would say that any time you have to "slam on your breaks" (sic) to stop for lights, you deserve a ticket for driving without due care and attention. At least that's an offence in the UK.

I'd contest it. Then again, I say contest just abt any ticket, just on the off chance that the officer doesn't show up...

ALWAYS fight traffic tickets

doesn't matter how slight it is

there's a good chance that when you talk to the magistrate, that you'll get the whole thing dismissed (in this case) or at least absolute minimum fine and NO points on your record - and that's the biggest reason to go fight it

3 or so lost hours off of work is FAR FAR cheaper than a few points on your licence and the resulting extra cost on your insurance for the next 3+ years

i should probably tell my (ongoing) story, and how it's led to me buying a protege5 :D, but that's a whole 'nother book

In my experience it is extremely easy to argue your way out of tickets like that in Cali. I had a friend out there who was in almost the exact same situation and he argued his way out pretty easily.

Sounds like you've got a pretty good case there. Take it to court. If the magistrate still finds you responsible, contest it and go before a judge. Chances are the cop wont' show up in front of the judge, and your ticket will get dismissed. It's definetly worth fighting due to the surcharges from insurance.

Just make sure to speak respectfully and definately. alot of times distractions, etc are not a worthy excuse. I'd just focus on the fact that you acessed the situation and knew that you could reasonably stop intime for the light without endangering others and determined that that would be a better solution than the possibility of running the light.

http://www.helpigotaticket.com/speed/basic.html

So according to this case, would it be relevant that he's charging me something I didn't do according to the code? I wasn't on the highway and he also wrote that it was warm, dry, moderate. So he also stated that I was going the speed limit. Again the law says on highways and I was on a city street.

Hmmm.. I believe this belongs in the offtopic section or somwhere else. can a mod move it or something? thanks.

Last edited:
damn, I think he should have let you off with a warning. did you do something to piss him off at all or was he just being mean?

xvdarkyvx said:
http://www.helpigotaticket.com/speed/basic.html

So according to this case, would it be relevant that he's charging me something I didn't do according to the code? I wasn't on the highway and he also wrote that it was warm, dry, moderate. So he also stated that I was going the speed limit. Again the law says on highways and I was on a city street.

Hmmm.. I believe this belongs in the offtopic section or somwhere else. can a mod move it or something? thanks.
Very, Very relevant

he was just being mean man... it was wrong. i did my best not to run the light and i get a ticket. i didn't even go over the limit line.

fight it! at least you have something to defend yourself with...my first ticket I was pulled over for going 51 in a 25 zone (don't ask...). I didn't fight it cuz even I knew I deserved it. And the freakin insurance rapes you! And even if they don't completely dismiss it, you can usually work with the court to find an alternate punishment. My gf weasled her way out of a speeding ticket by attending a safe driving class held by the city. See what happens...the worse thing that can happen is you end up with the same punishment as if you didn't fight it.

Back