First impressions CX-5 Signature Canuck edition

Fasterski

:
CX-5 SIGNATURE/3 GT
Just picked her up today. Coming from 2014 3 GT.

The good:

Gobbles of torque at low RPM
Adaptive cruise control works great ++
Apple CarPlay ++

The bad:
No parking sensors and 360 cameras available in Canada - I was aware buying it . still sucks
What's with the heated seats preset resetting on ignition off- that does not happen in the 3
Screen is smaller than the 3
Where do i get some vinyl to cover all the piano trims !!!!
Looks like weather tech mats do no fit on the front driver side. Will double check this tomorrow.

Overall super happy so far. We will see how it goes down the road.

Since it doesn't have 360, why did you buy sig over gtr? Is gtr offered in Canada? To me, the 360 would be the only reason to have bought sig.

The good:

Gobbles of torque at low RPM
Adaptive cruise control works great ++
Apple CarPlay ++

The bad:
No parking sensors and 360 cameras available in Canada - I was aware buying it . still sucks
What's with the heated seats preset resetting on ignition off- that does not happen in the 3
Screen is smaller than the 3
Where do i get some vinyl to cover all the piano trims !!!!
Looks like weather tech mats do no fit on the front driver side. Will double check this tomorrow.

Overall super happy so far. We will see how it goes down the road.

In Canada... get these! I live in NorCal and ordered from Ontario. Better than OEM in US. https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)

Since it doesn't have 360, why did you buy sig over gtr? Is gtr offered in Canada? To me, the 360 would be the only reason to have bought sig.

In Canada it*s just called the GT with AWD. About $1000 US more for the Signature. Personal choice if you*re willing to spend the difference. For me the more comfortable seats with nappa leather, the black headliner, real rather than painted wood, the LED interior lights and the gunmetal wheels just felt classier enough to pay the small additional cost. Agree though that there*s no excuse for the omissions from the US model though the 360 camera still needs work to get a decent image.

In Canada it*s just called the GT with AWD. About $1000 US more for the Signature. Personal choice if you*re willing to spend the difference. For me the more comfortable seats with nappa leather, the black headliner, real rather than painted wood, the LED interior lights and the gunmetal wheels just felt classier enough to pay the small additional cost. Agree though that there*s no excuse for the omissions from the US model though the 360 camera still needs work to get a decent image.

To be fair, thats significantly less difference than GTR to SIG in price stateside.

How do you find the driving experience, coming from a 3? I have the exact same car and I've test-driven a CX-5 two years in a row (2017 & 2018), and although I could forgive the slower acceleration and infotainment system that hasn't changed at all in 5 years (AA/CP added for 2019 notwithstanding), I couldn't get over the SUV-like handling. Excessive body roll on ramps and head-bob over highway expansion joints made me feel like I was driving a bus, even if the CX-5 is the most car-like vehicle in its class.

Do you notice that at all? If so, did you just get used to it? I love my 3 GT, but I could really use more space and Mazda doesn't seem likely to offer the 6 wagon here in the future.

difference was only about 1000 USD as some one pointed out. The extras are well than worth it.

I think US models are configured differently. Do US Signature gets roof rails (not cross bars)?

I have WeatherTech's and they fit fine. The only thing that could be better, is the dead pedal coverage. Not a huge deal, though.

Yes it turns out they shipped the wrong ones for the front. Exchanged in the retail store with no issues, and they work great. Much better than Mazda ones as they have no holes for the floor pegs. The dead pedal coverage could be better as someone pointed out.

in canada it*s just called the gt with awd. About $1000 us more for the signature. Personal choice if you*re willing to spend the difference. For me the more comfortable seats with nappa leather, the black headliner, real rather than painted wood, the led interior lights and the gunmetal wheels just felt classier enough to pay the small additional cost. Agree though that there*s no excuse for the omissions from the us model though the 360 camera still needs work to get a decent image.

ditto

How do you find the driving experience, coming from a 3? I have the exact same car and I've test-driven a CX-5 two years in a row (2017 & 2018), and although I could forgive the slower acceleration and infotainment system that hasn't changed at all in 5 years (AA/CP added for 2019 notwithstanding), I couldn't get over the SUV-like handling. Excessive body roll on ramps and head-bob over highway expansion joints made me feel like I was driving a bus, even if the CX-5 is the most car-like vehicle in its class.

Do you notice that at all? If so, did you just get used to it? I love my 3 GT, but I could really use more space and Mazda doesn't seem likely to offer the 6 wagon here in the future.

I think it will be hard for any SUV to have the same drive as the smaller sedan. It is completely different drive. Having said that sharp handling (for SUV) lots of power (but not peaky like the non turbo engine). It feels different, power is there from the get go and you expect more to kick in with higher RPM but it will never be there. Just a nature of the beast. I'm OK with that.

I did notice a bit of head-bob over road expansions. I think I'm just driving it to slow :)

So I put about 250 km on city / hwy this weekend. Was taking it easy (tried to avoid anything over 4000 RMP), and and the same time vary the RPM as much as possible. Drives very nice, I think we will be happy campers.

One odd thing I have noticed is that the seat heater does not remember the last mode it was on, so every time I get in I have to turn them on (Still cold up here ) Why would they changed that (again comparing to 3) ? It seems like a step back.

Another was the radar cruise , following a white cube van when it was snowing lightly . It seems the radar lost the van from it sights and started accelerating. 2 minutes after i got the warning the radar is obstructed. Lesson learned :) It is a driver aid only, gotta keep that in mind.

I think US models are configured differently. Do US Signature gets roof rails (not cross bars)?

Our's came with the rails, but it was an added option at the port. The early Sig's in my area all came with them. Now they don't.

Back