finally placed order

markbehr

:
2012 Mazda3 skyactiv
i finally placed an order for H&R springs. now i just need help to install them lol. Is there anything else i might need to do when install that im not thinking of.

Installing the back are very easy, I took my old springs out and pushed my back springs in place. The front took some time and elbow grease. MAKE SURE YOU ORDER the bolts from H&R to correct the camber or you'll have major wear on the inside of your tires. Oh yea, and get a sway bar, really makes those springs hold on corners.

1. Camber bolts
2. rent a spring compressor
3. if you can get access to a vice, although it's not needed, just makes compressing the spring much easier
4. get an alignment afterwards
5. give me a ride after it's all finished so I can decide to lower mine as well.

Camber bolts can be had off of Amazon.com

SPC Part No# 81250

Don't need a spring compressor, but an electric or air impact tool will help.

John

The new springs won't likely need to be compressed, however, it is still a good idea to at least retain the old springs' in place while you remove the top nut.

You are correct. I only needed to compress the OEM ones, not the H&R's.

just recieved email stating my order has been shipped. now just have to find some camber bolts

When I put on my Bilstein coilovers, I had to take the old struts apart.

I took the strut off and laid it on the ground. Put my foot on top of the spring and took the big nut off with an electric impact driver. When the spring 'popped', everything came apart about three inches. There just aren't tons of tension when everything is at full extension.

John

Did anyone get an alignment after lowering springs? How much did it throw off the camber? I doubt a little negative camber in the front will have a dramatic effect.

I had ana alingment done when my H&R's were put in, but i dont think it was that far off.. however when I did my front sway bar, it REALLY threw off my camber. by about 1.5deg on the front... just something to watch for.

When I put on my Bilstein coilovers, I had to take the old struts apart.

I took the strut off and laid it on the ground. Put my foot on top of the spring and took the big nut off with an electric impact driver. When the spring 'popped', everything came apart about three inches. There just aren't tons of tension when everything is at full extension.

John

I've done that as well, however the OP is rather inexperienced with this kind of work, so in no way would I recommend him to do this, maybe once he gets some experience with these things.

Also, doing it this way, I've seen the bearing in the strut mount of a mazda3 come apart sending ball bearings everywhere, and trust me, picking all of those up, cleaning them, and repacking them is not a fun experience and I would imagine the 2 to have a similar strut mount design.

Put my foot on top of the spring and took the big nut off with an electric impact driver. When the spring 'popped', everything came apart about three inches. There just aren't tons of tension when everything is at full extension.

Thats how I did it as well. Just aim the parts (car and your other foot) away from anything in case some comes loose a little quick.

-Derrick

Back