Few Questions for California MSP owners

:
2003.5 Blazing Yellow MSP (Forged)
<HR style="COLOR: #d1d1e1; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #d1d1e1" SIZE=1> <!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->
Hello,
I'm a long time member of these forums, but have not been active in awhile. I currently live in GA and may be moving to the San Diego area in the near future. I have a built MS Protege and am trying to decide whether to bring it with me or cut my losses and sell it before I move.
In GA we have emissions testing and my car passes without issue, however our testing process is pretty basic.

GA emissions testing includes the following:
- visual inspection to check for presence of catalytic converter
- functional check of check engine light
- scan to check for completion of readiness monitors
- OBD2/CAN scan for fault codes
- gas cap pressure check

I have been researching California emissions standards and it seems that the test is similar, but I am having trouble finding specific info. Also, I am curious how the CARB status of some parts is going to affect the emissions testing / registration process. The only mods I would think may have an effect on this would be my HiBoost FMIC, Thunder tubular turbo manifold and Vibrant 3" turbo-back (w/highflow cat). Most other mods are internal, not visible without disassembly of engine or would not be distiguishable from factory parts unless the person looking is very familar with these cars. I'd prefer to keep the car as a toy (its long paid for) and get a truck for a daily driver on those roads, but I don't want to bring it unless I will be able to get it registered & drive it at least some of the time on the road.

Can any of you Cali guys/gals chime in and let me know what I'm up against? Any help is much appreciated. Thanks in advance...

from what Ive seen they dont care about the parts on the car. they just do the test. the carb issue only comes up if you are popped forthe mods and have to go to the state ref

if you have issues smogging, you can always find someone that will pass it

I say bring the car. Socal car scene is one of the biggest in the country and no everyone is smog legal ;)

you might also find it helpful to post this question on the state MOCC forum:

http://www.moccforums.com/forums/index.php

MOCClogofinal.png

problem with going to the ref is now the tickets are gettin expensive for illegal mods. the exhaust u should be fine. u dont have any of the stock parts?

I failed smog for my hks and then for not haveing carb sticker on intake

problem with going to the ref is now the tickets are gettin expensive for illegal mods. the exhaust u should be fine. u dont have any of the stock parts?

Yeah, I still have just about everything. Just was not sure if I need to go that far or not.

well i would lol. id hate to go in and just waste my time

Well, going back to completely stock is not an option. I'm more interested in what parts would make me fail. Some things like the 626 intake mani with the 2 non functional (and hidden) solenoids for vtcs and vics are not ever going to get changed back. The forged internals, drivetrain upgrades and unichip are there to stay also. These things are either completely hidden or look the same as stock for the most part. Changing the exhaust back is no big deal. Curious about the FMIC kit mainly, because its the most noticeable of all things and a bit more of a pain to change.

Is anyone running the HiBoost FMIC kit and passing visual inspection in Cali without "help"?

I believe I may have run into a more significant roadblock. My stock turbo manifold is cracked and leaks. I know I will not pass with an exhaust leak, right? I have a thunder manifold, but I'm not sure how that will affect the visual carb inspection portion. I know it does not have a carb number. If it will not pass with the thunder manifold, I may have a big problem. The stock turbo manifold is no longer available from mazda (if they were, the price is over $1K anyway). I guess I could try to weld the stock manifold, but I doubt that would last for long. Anyone have any suggestions? Or does anyone know for sure how a nonstock manifold would affect my inspection considering there is no stock replacement available?

You can find someone's used uncracked stock manifold or weld your current one and after inspection throw on the thunder mani.

Back