FED UP! Doing rear suspension this week + Craftsman Impact Wrench review

belleth

:
2007 Mazda 5
This was the last straw this weekend. The noise and bounciness got to me. It was also a post a saw here as to actually how cheap the rear struts are. So I've ordered Bushings:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

and rear struts last night:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

The way I figure, I won't be doing coulovers till spring anyhow, and this was only $60 for a fix, I just can't stand the squeaking anymore... waaaay too annoying, especially not when you have not even 52k on the car.

As a side note, I've ordered a 19.2 craftsman cordless kit, since it's on sale for 199.99 and if you order online (with store pick up) you get another 10% off.
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00917229000P?prdNo=4&blockNo=4&blockType=G4

I'm not sure how 200 ft lb will work, but some posts I've read say it's no proble for removing lug nuts, and that's more than enough for me. You can get just the tool with two batteries for much cheaper, however I went with the kit because of the 2 Lithium Ion batteries, kit with just the tool comes with NiCad. If you own craftsman 19.2V tools, you can get just the tool for like $85.

If anyone is looking for an impact wrench, I think it's a good price, especially for a decent brand. If you guys want to get it while it's on sale (10% ends on 18th), I'll review the kit (more specifically the wrench) in more detail after I do my rear shocks this week.

You realize the struts are per strut, not by the pair (as is implied by the image @ Amazon) right? Sure, $41/free shipping is a great price for 1. Would be better if it was for 2. Unless the lug nuts are salted to the studs, you shouldn't need more than 100 ft/lbs of force to pull them off. I was just fine w/a 1/2" drive ratchet, but a cheater bar would have been nice. Also, no snow, so no rust.

GRRRR thanks for letting me know, iI was so out of it this weekend, I thought it was for 2..... anyhow, just ordered another one.

yup definetly appreciate it, one came in today and already is done, the second one will be here tomorrow :)

OK figured I'd update. Took a couple of days to actually do (finished last week, just been busy), but mostly took long because the second shock that came it was "damaged", it was making a high pitch whistling noise and took almost no effordt to compress. Gotta say though, Amazon shipped one right away, and I had it the next day. While the car was no jack stands, I went ahead and replaced rear rotors and brake pads, figured might as well. Weren't really worn, but soon...

No surprises with the suspension, it went smoothly Guide on removal was helpful, but it's a pretty straight forward job. One thing is, my under carriage was very dirty. SOOO much salt and sand has came off, just be careful not to get it into your eyes.

I ordered the energy suspension bushings, the bracket did NOT fit for my application, I didn't feel like messing with and just went to the dealership for the RSB bushings. They were $9 a piece. One thing to note, it appears that they have changed the "kind" of bushings they use. They look sooo much mroe durable than original.
1) the slit looked straight
2) most impressively, the inside of the bushing is covered by a "net" (sorry don't have a pic), but it looks like strings of nylon, or some sort of other material, that create a net looking pattern inside the bushing. This design insurest that greese stays in place, so I was very happy with the replacement.

It is amazing to finally not hear the awful "sqeak". I still expect it anytime I go over speedbumps, but it's no longer there, very happy.

As far the torque wrench goes... I'm very happy with it. Takes lug nuts right off, and even took the lower strut bold out without breaking it with a bar first (i was very suprised with that one). It's light, comfortable, and seems powerful enough for my application. It looks like I got a good deal on it as well, the price went back up to $249.

Back