Factory Navigation

Things I wish it had:

- a compass
- a "closest distance to the next gas station" indicator (ex: "95 km" countdown to next closest gas station )
- price of toll roads (to know how much to bring before i leave) ex: "35$US" (countdown of the remaining amount)
- removable safety lock when the passenger air bag is in function.
- bigger screen with more modern graphics
- faster response touch screen

By any chance are you providing this feedback to TomTom, seems they solicit input from users so they can update their product.

@speedbegone, nice to hear you were happy with it on a long trip. We're planning on using it going from Michigan to Florida later this year.

Looking over your "wish list," it doesn't have a compass in 3D mode, but if you put it in 2D mode, it will orientate so the top is North. That might help.

Thanks for this idea... I totally did not think of this.
I actually changed the settings to have the map rotate to follow my direction without even thinking about this. this is indeed another way to have a compass...
I guess I would still prefer to have a small compass on the screen and keep the map direction to where my car is pointing... i'm a simple minded folk, and having a tilted map makes it a little harder to follow for me ;-)
At this point Its more personal preference I guess.

How often does your TomTom think you are on a different street than you are on? This happens all the time with our unit. Last weekend I was on a major freeway in So Cal and it said I was on a side road that was about 1/8th mile off to the side. Then it simply quit working and my screen froze (no tunnel or overhead blockage). It could not find itself until I shut off the car let it sit for a while then turn it back on. I've had a Garmin Nuvi portable GPS for 6 years that has never done this. The obvious benefit of GPS is pinpoint accuracy, unfortunately our TomTom is not accurate at all. Can only assume it's either a bad antenna or the unit is reading the satellite pings wrong. Since our car is just 30 days old this will be on my lit of complaints at the first dealer service.

I guess GPS accuracy is directly related to the map accuracy... because positioning is done by satellite.

Maybe maps in your area have not been done accurately... or satellite reception is not good.

Mine is usually very precise... but when I go to freeways that have new off/on ramps (not updated on the maps), my car will seem to be off-roading until I get back to positioning that matches the map.

I know your car is only 30 days old, but your map may not be updated. You can check if it's up to date here and, if not, you get the latest map free, using the Latest Map Guarantee. Info on how to do so here.

Also, if your screen has frozen, you might need to do a soft reset. To reset your device, switch off the car engine and then remove the memory card. Re-insert the memory card and switch the car engine on again.

Lastly, if your NB1 is slow in getting a GPS fix, you probably need to update the QuickGPSFix software. It tells your navigation device where the GPS satellites will be for the next 7 days and you can update it using TomTom Home. Info here.

To answer your question directly, "How often does your TomTom think you are on a different street than you are on?" my answer is never. My CX-5 always seems to know where I am - at least so far. :)

Thanks for the links and helpful hints, I'm waiting to almost the last day of the 60 days before doing the map update. Since I'm in the Los Angeles area I would think the maps are up to date anyway as not many of the major roads have changed in a very long time. Hopefully a software update is all it needs as it's frustrating and time consuming to have to pull off the road, shut the car off, pull the SD card and reboot just to find your destination.

You can update the operating software and gpsmaps without using your one time map update...

@x-country-cx5 - have you updated your software recently. I believe the problem of being kicked out during a voice command was fixed in a recent update, although you still cannot manually enter an address while moving.

Thanks, you were correct! After performing a system update, this problem was fixed and it seems to be generally more responsive too. For anyone wondering, you need to download the TomTom HOME application, not "Your Drive".

I recently drove through Toronto downtown with the TomTom and I think most GPS will have the problem of finding enough signals to position itself.... Overall I am pleased with the setup of the Navigation itself, what bothers me to no end is that each time I put the card in my computer and back in the car I have to go through the settings. The dealer also claims they did an update on the system, which turned out to be untrue as I do keep a log of firmwares and the versions of the softwares on the device. Other than this I have complained enough about this junk setup and am saving up for a better unit after I get the honey do list down....

If it was Garmin I would have considered upgrading to Tech Package, but I didn't because it is TomTom. I used TomTom maybe more than 5 years ago, but it sucks and I hated it. I don't think having TomTom would add that much value to the resale value.

I'm just using Garmin 1350T from couple years back, with updated maps. I have a sandbag type mounting so I don't have to use any suction cups on the windshield. I just keep it on the dash all the time, plugged in to the front cigar jack. I don't think anyone will break the window just to get the Garmin. GPS are really cheap these days.

The CX-5 nav system is my first TomTom product, and I definitely prefer Garmin. But I'm still glad I sprung for the tech package. The integration of the nav system with the rest of the electronics is the killer feature, for me (ex: the voice command button on the steering wheel, the front speaker muting of music when directions are being read, etc.). These have come in handy enough times already that I think it's worth the money. Others may, of course, disagree. And while standalone GPS units are definitely not as valuable as they once were, I'm still feeling done with them after having windows broken twice for thieves to steal them in the past several years. And yes, that was even after taking precautions (thieves must have watched me using it as I parked). Anyway, to each his own.

Anyone get the satellite map view to work? I'm in a major metropolitan area yet the satellite view, while checked, is a grayed out option.

Coming from BMW it's a definite change. Not as nice looking as the last gen BMW but it's a different class of car

Coming from BMW it's a definite change. Not as nice looking as the last gen BMW but it's a different class of car

You need to load the satellite images onto the SD memory card. Not worth messing with, IMO. The navigation system is junk but the tech headlights were worth the price of admission.

Mentioned this before but the processor inside reminds me of a 386 computer we had in 1989. I use to play F117 Stealth Fighter at 1 frame per second!

Ummmm...No idea! The Card was date stamped 2012, but apparently there are revisions every 3 months or so. It did update some firmware as well as the Map database...Was a long revision number. I didn't write it down. I could look at the unit, but the wife generally has it all day..
Keep in mind I bought my unit as an accessory...No telling how long these have been in the distribution channel so there may have been a few revisions since the card was originally burned..

Does anyone know what the update schedule for the maps is? Is it always on the first day of the quarter, always on the 15th day of the second month in the quarter, etc? I picked up my car this week, but if there are no map updates scheduled in the next 60 days there really is no point in delaying finishing the set up...

Thanks. It looks like they generally follow a "second month of the quarter" schedule. So we should expect another update any day real soon now.

It seems like their update policy has changed, by the way. The pop-up window I just got states that I can download "every update of your map released" within the first 90 days, so it's not just one update I can do free but however many they publish (if they published more than one). So I just upgraded my map to version 930 and presumably should be able to get version 935 (or whatever they name it) when it comes out in the next few weeks.

90DayLatestMapGuarantee.JPG

Back