extra 12v ports and usb ports ideas

I am looking to add at least one extra 12v cigarette lighter plug in my car.
Would also like some kind of USB plug that looks "finished" and OEM looking.
If anybody has done anything, I'd appreciate pics to get ideas.

I'm figuring for both possibly in the side of the center console on the passenger side.

I added an additional 12v outlet on my S2000. I picked up the part at RadioShack, drilled a hole in the panel, hooked up the wires to a constant on so I could charge my phone even with the car off and it was done. You will need a spade bit for your drill. Very easy. I might consider it on the P5.

That's pretty nice. I'm looking for power mostly. My phone runs/charges with USB, and in the summer I have a little fan that I ingeniously wedge up in the sunroof shade. I like to keep cool. Also play to mount a cigarette lighter hole somewhere else. The 99-00 Protege cupholder is bigger on the left than on the right. The 12v is on the right, but my heated coffee mug won't fit in the right side cupholder when the power is plugged in, and the one on the left is too small. Looked for another heated coffee mug, but they're all the same. Don't feel like modifying my center console to swap to the 01-03 design.

I know- life is complicated and all this stuff is ridiculous, but I just want to try to get it to all fit together to look and work nicely.

Are you looking for USB for charging or playback? I did this in my truck. It has aux 3.5mm jack, ipod interface & usb connection. The usb port fits in a cigarette lighter hole but did it in empty dash panel.........

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/audio-video/44735-grom-usb-adapter-installation-pics.html

Here are the ports I added and I posted pictures of the whole thing.

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/show...s-to-the-back-seat.-(for-the-kids)&highlight=

It really was an easy install, I had the interior apart already and running the hot wire was cinch. The ground wire for the 12v outlets was a bolt at the hand brake. Probably the biggest bang for the buck on mods of the interior I have done. My kids 8yrs and 11yrs old both love having their own outlet to plug into.

Thanks for the follow up! I had been thinking of that location and may do that. Ideally I'd like to find illuminated sockets that have green rings around them (NAPA online has them I think). That way they'd do double duty as rear foot room "courtesy" lights. Up front, I'm thinking the easiest location with space would be the passenger side, side of the center console. For USB, I'll stick with the stock 12v socket. There are USB adapters that are fairly small, have two plugins, and don't stick out far and I think that would work ok. The biggest problem is the coffee mug, which has the typical bulky plug, It just won't fit if I plug it in the stock location.

installation with pics

Two weekends ago I installed an extra socket in the right of side of console, and another in the back.
Just used 3M branded 12v sockets I got at walmart for about $5 each.
P1030186.JPG
P1030184.JPG
P1030192.JPG

I removed the entire center console to drill the holes and set up all the wires before putting back in. I used 16gauge wiring, which matched the wires on the sockets. Holes drilled using spade bits, then a little bit of dremelling.

For power I used a "add a fuse" tap. These are rated for 10amps, which for my uses is sufficient. I used position 12 (see 2000 Protege owners manual p 6-11, which is always hot.)
I might decide to put a switch on this in the future. Grounding is to a nut in the e-brake assembly.

Now I can have my heated coffee mug in the right side cup-holder (the only one it fits in). I can still use the OEM 12 socket to power my phone using a compact Griffin USB mini adapter that fits flush in the socket, and the USB phone plug doesn't block the cupholder.

The one in the back is just there for the heck of it now. If you have to take the console out, might as well do it.

Latest posts

Back