Extended warranty purchase?

I got it from SMITH CAIRNS Mazda in Yonkers, NY. 8 years/100 miles (this goes from lease origination date) with 0 deductible was slightly bellow $2k after taxes.
It sounds like CPO warranty option is being sold.
Probably somebody in that dealership bent some rules to be able to sell it. Mazda may not like it if finds later that some procedures are not followed - like 165 points inspection etc.

Other 49 dealers were probably not willing to sell the warranty without the inspection, which could cost them more than the mention $200 profit if they follow all the procedures. In the typical post-lease sale these expenses goes in other markups and do not affect the profit margin from the warranty contract.

It sounds like CPO warranty option is being sold.
CPO's are written by Mazda and the dealer pays Mazda about $600 - $800, and they definitely don't go out 8 years. You can buy a CPO used car. I believe that you cannot make a used car a CPO, but the dealer can prior to its sale. CPO's typically cost $1,200 to $1,600 more than a similar non CPO'd Used cars are sold as a CPO car which is different than buying an extended warrant - actually there is no such thing as an extended warranty, they are all service contracts

CPO's are written by Mazda and the dealer pays Mazda about $600 - $800, and they definitely don't go out 8 years. You can buy a CPO used car. I believe that you cannot make a used car a CPO, but the dealer can prior to its sale. CPO's typically cost $1,200 to $1,600 more than a similar non CPO'd Used cars are sold as a CPO car which is different than buying an extended warrant - actually there is no such thing as an extended warranty, they are all service contracts
Correct. By the way. Mazda CPO extends the Limited Warranty to 4 years / 48,000 miles and the powertrain warranty to 7 years / 100,000 miles, dating from when the the vehicle was purchased / titled as new.

In my case, it was a current model year dealer loaner with 4,300 miles on the OD and 7 months since the dealer bought it. Per the dealer-supplied CarFax, in the 2 1/2 months since they put it up for sale it only logged 20 miles so they were not getting much interest. Those 20 miles might have been a dealer employee taking it for the day which is where some loaner miles come from. They even changed the oil and rotated the tires when put up for sale.

Without getting into all the details, it was $3,800 off MSRP for this lower trim with no options other than AWD and the red paint nor any dealer add-ons of any kind other than the state mandated $250 max for dealer prep. I got a respectable (not great) trade value on a clean 14 year old / 100,000 mile Accord V-6 due for a timing belt service. They probably made $2,000 off the trade since they put it on the lot rather than wholesale it. They gotta make money somewhere. Given I like to keep cars for at least 10 years or 150,000 miles the drive train CPO was a meaningful added value.

So, long story short, it was possible to get a decent deal on a very low mileage CPO before used car values went nuts. Maybe again one day. As for dealer loaners being beat to crap, I view that with skepticism.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just wanted to post that I just purchased an 8 year/75k mile genuine Mazda platinum extended protection plan with zero deductible through a Mazda dealer in Pennsylvania at a super price of $1400 for my 2020 CX-9 GT. It is the new car plan ( not used car) because my factory warranty 3/36 is still good for a few weeks longer and as long as it is still under this warranty then you can purchase this plan.

If anyone wants to know which dealer and the contact there, please private message me. I'm not sure if im allowed to publically post their info. You can purchase over the phone or email and from any state.

I have NO affiliation to them. Just trying to help others considering purchasing a warranty get a great deal. I also have pricing on other variations of time and mileage but the one I picked worked best for me. I've contacted numerous dealers both close and afar and the price and ease of purchase was fantastic.

Last edited:
There are exactly zero, nada, none, zip, zilch "real" extended warranties - only the manufacturer can issue an actual warranty, it's the law, and car manufacturers don't sell extended warranties - Look it up, I'm not going to give a single reply to anyone that says otherwise. Every thing else is a service contract.

As far as YAA, once you lie to me, I don't believe anything you say after that. In the YAA video the woman says that "if you go to a dealer to buy a service contract, send you to the service department to inspect the car first - and they charge you for that" - wrong on both counts, So if you lie to me in your advertising video (which is presented to look like a podcast), I'm not believing anything else you tell me.

You may like your YAA contract, but they are hardly "awesome". All the videos I wasted my time watching watched, were just an ad to buy something from YAA, insurance or your next car. They"may" offer some interesting info, but it is hardly a legitimate consumer advocate channel. It's a for profit site (nothing wrong with that) in the guise of a consumer advocate channel.

EDIT: Looking back I suppose I could have said all that in a nicer tone, but it really frosts me when someone pretends to be providing a consumer service when all it is is an ad for their car buying service
It should be forbidden to mention dealer names, or other product promotion or the opposite in the forum -Also -You are 100% correct , there are no extended warranties , only VSA's ( vehicle service agreements ) sold thru F & I at an authorized Mazda dealer , and they are NOT underwritten by Mazda but by Toyota - CPO's are for authorized dealers only to add on to a pre-owned Mazda under specific time and mileage - for the purpose of aiding the dealer in selling Mazda vehicles that meet stringent requirments - as well a rigid checklist of service procedures and tolerances must be met ..even on the tires .
Thanks HAL2

It should be forbidden to mention dealer names, or other product promotion or the opposite in the forum -Also -You are 100% correct , there are no extended warranties , only VSA's ( vehicle service agreements ) sold thru F & I at an authorized Mazda dealer , and they are NOT underwritten by Mazda but by Toyota - CPO's are for authorized dealers only to add on to a pre-owned Mazda under specific time and mileage - for the purpose of aiding the dealer in selling Mazda vehicles that meet stringent requirments - as well a rigid checklist of service procedures and tolerances must be met ..even on the tires .
Thanks HAL2
Huh? Why would it be forbidden to mention a dealer's name (good, or bad)? This is supposed to be a place to exchange info. I am happy to give my local dealer, Mall of Georgia Mazda in Buford, GA a thumbs up for doing a great job for me over the past 5 years.

Back