Expert protege help...

Keatonc

:
2001 Mazda Protege MP3
I decided to post this in general protege instead of the MP3 protege forum for more possible views..
Bought a rebuilt MP3 a while ago and it is idling bad, heres the info:

Problem: cold start idle at 2000 down to 900 after warm, hesitation after gas, sticks at 2k for a second, then returns to idle. Misfire on cylinder 3 without a code. fuel is in the cylinder 3, spark tested and passed, compression was backyard rigged but passed...also pulled fuel rail and noticed a bit of smoke coming from the port on cylinder 3, couldnt tell if it was blueish or not. The reason I believe cylinder 3 is misfiring is because when I unplug injector 3 the engine does not change idle. (there is a code for HO2S heater circuit low on sensor 1) Keep in mind this engine does not have over 500 miles since it was rebuilt.

What I've done thus far:
-Replaced coil packs, wires, plugs
-Replaced fuel rail
-checked fuel pressure regulator, voltages and grounds to injectors and coil packs.
-checked majority of sensors that supply idle and ignition timing, all checked out.
-checked fuses, wiring, relays, blah blah..
-scanned for info, all sensors supply correct data
-fixed timing (was off one tooth)
-fixed the factory-set throttle stop screw
-cleaned IAC, EGR, and throttlebody and checked all for correct functioning

Currently there is only headers on the vehicle, no exhaust, and I built and installed an o2 sensor simulator for the post-cat sensor. Runs better than it used to but still missing cylinder 3.
Any other info I can supply, I have to vacuum test it since I fixed the timing (it was steady and low vacuum, so I think it should be correct now)

I can also upload a spreadsheet with running data for a lap around my neighborhood as well.

Back