Engines

Shkybonez

:
2002 Mazda protege 5
If the fs motor is junk I was wondering what motors are the japs putting in there mazdas.....? In Japan

The FS is necessarily a junk motor, most are fine for a long time the motor just has a few shortcoming (but what motor doesnt).

The Familia (Protege in Japan) could be built with the FSZE, a high compression version of the FSDE in our cars. Other than that, the JDM market uses essentially the same engine.

If you want a "swap" then the KL V6's are popular options as they work with a decent amount of effort.

Seen very few BP swaps but it can be done.

Many of the JDM engines sold in Japan are very similar to what we get here. As already mentioned, the JDM FS-ZE is identical to an FS-DE, aside from the pistons, camshafts, and tuning.

The big short coming of this engine is the oil burning, which is a side affect of low tension rings. This was not limited to Mazda, the whole industry began using them to increase fuel efficiency, and many manufacturers are still dealing with oil consumption today.

Otherwise, you don't see many problems with these engines.

Ok thanks guys I wasn't looking to do a swap the engine is running fine and has 127k on it doesn't burn oil and runs now that I've fixed all the small crap.... I was just wondering since I hear things people say about this engine I was just wondering

Doug

Back