Engine oil leak? (2022 CX-5)

Recently I was changing the engine oil and noticed unusually bright spot in the gap between the oil pan and engine. It was oil, but a pretty small amount, after 3 days checked again - the same amount of oil in the gap.
The oil concentrates only in this area and is not getting outside of the gap. The surrounding area is clean.
Has someone had a similar issue?
Is it a leaking oil pan or timing chain cover?
Can I fix it myself (preferably), or dealer needs to be involved?
2022 N/A 6K miles.
Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• Oil.jpg
    Oil.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 397
earlier years had an issue with oil leaks there but in 2022 models it should be fixed. Yours appear as a very small "oil wet spot" its minimal from what I see. If you have a "wet spots" also on the engine under cover , the plastic one then it is leaking for sure. If the plastic under cover is clean may be it not leaking yet or may leak over time as you go more miles.

Get it fixed under warranty if its indeed leaking over time. It doesnt hurt to go to the dealer to check it out. Your car is under full warranty still.
Also the whole procedure to fix is pita , let Mazda take care of their own issue.

Here is mine on 2018 CX5 , it was much much worse (only few thousand miles and car was new when I saw it first) but it was also leaking from the top where the timing chain cover is. There was a Service bulletin for earlier years.
"|Dealer Fixed" 2 times under warranty and still has some "oil wet spots" there similar to yours but my warranty ended and I cant be bothered anymore.Its not loosing oil or anything just small wet spot now.

pics before the fix:
IMG_4524.jpeg

IMG_4525.jpeg

Last edited:
earlier years had an issue with oil leaks there but in 2022 models it should be fixed. Yours appear as a very small "oil wet spot" its minimal from what I see. If you have a "wet spots" also on the engine under cover , the plastic one then it is leaking for sure. If the plastic under cover is clean may be it not leaking yet or may leak over time as you go more miles.

Get it fixed under warranty if its indeed leaking over time. It doesnt hurt to go to the dealer to check it out. Your car is under full warranty still.
Also the whole procedure to fix is pita , let Mazda take care of their own issue.

Here is mine on 2018 CX5 , it was much much worse (only few thousand miles and car was new when I saw it first) but it was also leaking from the top where the timing chain cover is. There was a Service bulletin for earlier years.
"|Dealer Fixed" 2 times under warranty and still has some "oil wet spots" there similar to yours but my warranty ended and I cant be bothered anymore.Its not loosing oil or anything just small wet spot now.

pics before the fix:
View attachment 319284

View attachment 319285
Thank you for sharing your case, it looks like your engine had it at the same spot.
Probably I caught this leakage at the beginning as the surrounding area is clean, including the oil pan and plastic engine undercover.
I will continue monitoring it, but most likely it will get worse.
I hate to deal with dealers, but if the procedure is complicated then I will not have a choice...

its 3 surfaces that touch each other (engine block , timing chain cover and the oil pan at the same time) and have to be sealed all together. The design is not very optimal so sometimes it leaks. Not a major problem as you wont be loosing oil but its quite annoying on a new car. Good luck.

To OP,
At some point, you might want to consider having a dealer fix it under powertrain warranty.

On my '14 Mazda3, the mechanic at Mazda dealer found it while doing oil change.
He said he would do it for ONLY $1700 (he said like he gave me a big discount. No kidding).
(needing to drop the engine, etc...)
I refused the *kind* offer. Since mine is way out of warranty, I will take action only when I see oil spot on the floor. Might sell/trade it within 1-2 years anyway.

Back