Engine Oil From Factory

Matt'sSpeed6

:
MazdaSpeed6
Do anyone definitively know what type of 5W30 oil is in the cars from the factory?

Is it conventional (dino) oil, synthetic or some kind of blend?

My dealer puts a blend oil in - and I doubt that is what the car came with.

Input would be appreciated!!!!

M

I know that the oil that they put in at factory is not the correct one.. I took my car in and they changed it because of that... I will get the right oil info for you... I am not quite sure what they put in..

Why not use 0-40 Mobil 1. We use it exclusively in all our Viper motors and S/C cars. I know that is what will be going into my Spd6 at 500 miles.

Why not use 0-40 Mobil 1. We use it exclusively in all our Viper motors and S/C cars. I know that is what will be going into my Spd6 at 500 miles.
(no)

I tried something like this with my first car (long time ago). Had lots of header gasket leaks and other issues with it. Luckly a mechanic at the dealer who changed my head gasket a few times saw my car in for the oil change. He explained the facts of (oil) life to me...

I'll use your 0-40 example...

1) 0 weight (min temp) is more likely sit around in the engine and not lubricate the parts correctly during your cold start, since it's lower (thicker) than the recommended rating from the manufacturer. It may also shorten the life of the oil pump/injectors since they were not calibrated for that rating.

As the oil heats up the polymer chains loosen and expand, changing the weight of the oil and making it more viscous.

2) 40 weight (max temp) is now higher (thinner) than the recommended rating from the manufacturer, and more likely to cause sheering in the internal components and possibly foam from viscous spray (which not only blocks oil pathways, but then bakes into sludge possibly clogging the passage ways).

Since our turbo's share that oil, I really wouldn't try this.
Why is it so hard to use what's recommended? (dunno)

you got it backwards
the lower the number, the thinner the oil is
you WANT thin oil for a cold engine so that it gets oil to where it needs FAST

but as the oil heats up, it thins out... hence why you have the multi-viscosity ("multi-weight")... to make it simple, they put s*** in the oil to make it so that it's 10 viscosity or whatever, and then as it heats up it changes itself back to an equivalent of a straight single high viscosity/weight oil... the higher the number it is, the thicker it is... the thicker oil does not break down as easily as thinner oils and when running in a hot motor, it won't thin out enough to where it can't lubricate the parts... but as I said, you can't have this thick oil in a cold engine as it's so thick it can't get anywhere! so that's why the multi-viscosity oil was created

0W40 will NOT hurt the motor!

My dealer (whose words I take with a grain of salt) told me they put Castrol Blend in from the factory.

I cannot believe that.

M

I find that hard to believe
more likely they used idemitsu as it is a popular brand in japan and is typically used in factory fills of many japanese cars

I guess what happened is some (meaning dealership people, mazda people) think that the oil they put in at the factory is to thin of an oil and usually when you get an oil change at the dealer they will put a thicker oil in. I sent this link to my friend, who is also a mazdaspeed tech, so he can clear it up. I know I am a bit confusing, but I couldnt really remember the exact info on it.

most (if not all) car companies will put conventional oil in the car for the first couple miles just b/c it will creative that protective film about the engine. i use royal purple 2w30 now

I guess what happened is some (meaning dealership people, mazda people) think that the oil they put in at the factory is to thin of an oil and usually when you get an oil change at the dealer they will put a thicker oil in. I sent this link to my friend, who is also a mazdaspeed tech, so he can clear it up. I know I am a bit confusing, but I couldnt really remember the exact info on it.

Do you really believe that the people at the stealership knows more than the people that actually built the car?

Back