Engine Lurch during start-up?

:
2014 QX70 AWD
For the past few weeks, its seems as if my engine sometimes lurches towards the driver's side when it turns over upon start-up. It isn't consistent by any means (meaning it doesn't happen every time I start the vehicle), and it is not noticeable during driving. Everything else seems fine.

Any thoughts? Bad mount?

thx!

Maybe because its really cold up their in Maine causing a rough start?

For the past few weeks, its seems as if my engine sometimes lurches towards the driver's side when it turns over upon start-up. It isn't consistent by any means (meaning it doesn't happen every time I start the vehicle), and it is not noticeable during driving. Everything else seems fine.

Any thoughts? Bad mount?

It could be a bad engine mount. It could also be bad fuel or that foot of flood water you drove through recently.

No warning lights?

It could be a bad engine mount. It could also be bad fuel or that foot of flood water you drove through recently.

No warning lights?

Nope, I've never had a single warning light come on at anytime during ownership yet. Good memory, but its been a couple months since the flood water, it was then atleast another month before we had any freezing temps, and I've been in for an oil change since then too.

But the movement in the engine bay is certainly perceptable when it occurs.

So did you actually open the hood and observe the physical movement of the engine during a cold start up?

Granted I first noticed it on a cold morning, it occurred again on a moderately warm morning. Only consistency is its always the first start-up of the day.

You car seems relatively new. I believe the CX-5 has newly designed mounts. The old mounts from say 2011 models were from Ford and would leak fluid anywhere from say 30k-60k miles. The mounts are towards the left of the engine near the windshield fluid reservoir I think. 99% sure that's not the issue though.

Try inspecting you air filter just in case. Also, where do you get your fuel from?

Last edited:
So did you actually open the hood and observe the physical movement of the engine during a cold start up?

No, its just something I've felt from the driver's seat. Since its only happened 4 times (I believe), I can't predict nor recreate the event (since its only happens during the first start-up of certain days).

You car seems relatively new. I believe the CX-5 has newly designed mounts. The old mounts from say 2011 models were from Ford and would leak fluid anywhere from say 30k-60k miles. The mounts are towards the left of the engine near the windshield fluid reservoir I think. 99% sure that's not the issue though.

Try inspecting you air filter just in case. Also, where do you get your fuel from?

Yeah, I've only had it since April 2015, and it just crested 7k miles a week or so ago.

I buy fuel from local gas stations, but I've never had a problem at any of them the past 15 years.

I'm leaning against the mounts since the event is intermittent.

Just thought of this now, but the movement couldn't be caused by a mouse nest under the plastic engine cover, could it? I recall one time when there was one in the Mazda 6 around the plug wires, and upon start-up I immediately knew something was wrong by the way the car was behaving (running on just 2 cylinders and sounding like a loud Subaru). I just can't remember if any odd engine bay movement was noticed during that start-up when the nest was in there.....

No, its just something I've felt from the driver's seat. Since its only happened 4 times (I believe), I can't predict nor recreate the event (since its only happens during the first start-up of certain days).

I am just trying to understand what it would feel like from the drivers seat. I would check the mounts, if the motor moves enough to feel inside the cabin, you'll notice the mount is torn.

I can say that when it is very cold outside, it is a more aggressive startup rather than the normal loud startup.

I am just trying to understand what it would feel like from the drivers seat. I would check the mounts, if the motor moves enough to feel inside the cabin, you'll notice the mount is torn.

I can say that when it is very cold outside, it is a more aggressive startup rather than the normal loud startup.

Yeah, its weird and hard to explain, other than its a single jerky motion towards the driver's side, and that's it. Nothing else. One and done.

There have been plenty of other cold mornings where nothing out of the ordinary has happened during startup.

Well, if it was the engine mount, you would know during regular driving too. Could just be a rough start condition. A stalling engine will shake like a mofo.

I believe the CX-5 has newly designed mounts. The old mounts from say 2011 models were from Ford and would leak fluid anywhere from say 30k-60k miles.

The CX-5 was a clean-sheet design when 2013 models were released. Fortunately, there were no Ford designed parts in it!

The CX-5 was a clean-sheet design when 2013 models were released. Fortunately, there were no Ford designed parts in it!

I've actually seen one or two FoMoCo stamped parts in the undercarriage :) They're still friends...

NOT CX-5 but a different car I saw this issue. The AWD system which immediately kicks in at engine start was the culprit. Something to do with some clutch/differential having an issue causing a lurch towards front axle.

NOT CX-5 but a different car I saw this issue. The AWD system which immediately kicks in at engine start was the culprit. Something to do with some clutch/differential having an issue causing a lurch towards front axle.

Interesting. Something to keep in the back of my mind, for sure.

After spending some time under the hood yesterday, it appears the tranny is closer to the driver's side than the engine. Since this is only something I've experienced by feel, maybe bmninada is on the right track with it being drivetrain related. Then again, I haven't noticed it happening for over a week now.

Alright, so the other day I noticed this movement again, but it didn't seem as severe as the first few times. But now that my senses are tuned in and looking for this, I noticed what almost felt like movement behind the driver's foot well upon start-up. Since that is where the Tranny/drivetrain and exhaust are positioned, I'm inclined to think its now one of those two items and not the engine. I looked for packed in snow/ice, but didn't see anything.

When I go in for my fuel line recall, I'll mention it to the service tech(s). If anything is found to be out of whack I'll come back and update the thread.

Alright, so the other day I noticed this movement again, but it didn't seem as severe as the first few times. But now that my senses are tuned in and looking for this, I noticed what almost felt like movement behind the driver's foot well upon start-up. Since that is where the Tranny/drivetrain and exhaust are positioned, I'm inclined to think its now one of those two items and not the engine. I looked for packed in snow/ice, but didn't see anything.

When I go in for my fuel line recall, I'll mention it to the service tech(s). If anything is found to be out of whack I'll come back and update the thread.

Check the transmission mount(s)

Back