Engine and drivetrain noise (2016 CX-9)

Favre95

:
2016 Mazda 2016
This post might be a bit vague, so I apologize. Also, I know a video exists of the skyactiv engines making a bit of racket naturally due to the direct injection and what not. But we notice, when the car is in reverse more than anything, pulling out of our garage it makes a fair bit of noise. It's been like this for some time actually, really since the engine was replaced a year and half ago is when I noticed it. Does anyone else notice when their cx9 is put into gear right after startup, that it make what sounds like a chain noise kind of slapping a bit. I know we have a timing chain on these vehicles, but doesn't a new long block come with a new chain and and guides? Also, it doesn't sound like this is eminating from the trans either, it does sound like it is eminating from the side with the drive belt. It does seem to subside a fair bit as the car warms. I'm just hoping this is a sound this engine makes and we don't have an additional problem brewing. Thought I'd run this by everyone and see what they think.

Generally I don't put my car into gear right after startup, that's something my wife has a habit of doing :ROFLMAO: but even then, I don't think I've heard anything out of the ordinary when she does it. I usually let the car idle down or I'll wait like 20-30 seconds before putting it into gear, and I don't hear anything out of the ordinary from the engine when I back down my driveway every morning.

Would you be able to record a short clip of the cold start and shifting into gear so we could hear the noise? You can upload it directly to the forum, or upload it to YouTube, then share the link here.

We don't either, we always let the car warm-up...or at the very least come off of high idle.

I will try to get a clip and upload it.

The best way to warm up an engine is to drive it easy as soon as it will drive smoothly. A lengthy idling warm up is not good. Except in frigid conditions I start the engine, buckle my seat belt, then drive easy. In frigid weather I might give it a minute of idle warm up, then drive it away easy. (The same thing applies for diesel engines. I trained at two diesel engine manufacturers. Both wanted a load on the engine as soon as oil pressure was normal. Both wanted the engine shut down as soon as the load was off. Both these had oil circulation systems, though, so turbocharger cooling was not a consideration here. I don't understand the people who idle their diesel pickup trucks for long periods of time...everybody in earshot already knows it's a diesel.)

I have not heard unexpected noises from my 2016 2.5T.

Just an FYI, you don't hear these noises I'm experiencing while inside the cabin. You need to have someone outside to hear it.

I take very good care of our/my vehicles. To be frank, I have taken better care of the CX9 more than any of my wife's past vehicles due to it being turbo. The fact is the more I try to take care of it, the more this car tends to crap on us/me. (Engine, condenser). I've never in my life had such a bad experience with a car, its maker, and dealership network. Mazda can go to hell for all I care. I have a 2006 Mitsu Endeavor with dang near 200k on the clock that has literally given us zero issues like the CX9. I will never buy a Mazda again because of this.

I will start my cars in the winter and let run for maybe 1.5-3 minutes depending on the temp. During the summer I wait to get off high idle. I NEVER start it and immediately put into gear off a cold start...ever. I almost never run our vehicles hard except in times of need (on ramps, passing).

I have a Civic Type R that I will not put under any load till the car has been driven at least 10 or so minutes.

Worked in the industry for 15 years at an import dealership on the back end. Very aware of how vehicles work and how to care for them.

These engines are def a bit agricultural, especially on cold start, but once they warm up, they're quite decent, and very good as far as vibrations go, especially at idle. It's more noises that are heard vs felt.

I would gladly trade timing chains and direct injection for belt + port injection for the NVH improvements, but that's all engines now.

I think they play with the timing on cold start to help heat up the cats/emission components, which I think is causes that tinny/buzzy sound that goes away after a min or so. Winter driving, that's usually my cue to start going. In summer I just take off.

Back