EMS question.

A SS AFC V.3 with a good dyno tune, and tuner, should be able to get the timing right.
thats the problem knox joe,

i won't find any here..

im basically on my own in this.. that why i'm weighing if i can have /need/use the V3 or unichip..

whats the point of having timming control if ya cant tune it right? (huh)

oooook,

to show you how much we live in the stone age.

i called up the speed shop with the dyno.. the only we have around here and spoke to them.

1- they told me that at 9 psi i dont need to play with the timing as the engine is built for it and it has low compression piston from the factory.. (eekdance)(braindead

when i told him about the msp's engine and it's origins, he didn't believe me (confused)

2-they told me AFC's dont come with timming control.(beer)

3- they never tuned a msp ..ever.. (boom01)

but on the bright side.. they do know what pulling timming is and they do have some sort of know sensor with a LED on it that can show them if knocking is present.

they charge 150$/hour for dyno/tuning

what am i getting myself into (poke)

1.) They don't know MSP's!!! lol

2.) They don't know about the AFC's available for our cars.

3.) Don't worry about that. As long as they have that tool to detect knock, then you're set. If that thing triggers, that's where you have to pull timing. I'm sure there's more to it than that, but it should be the basis of your tune.

1.) They don't know MSP's!!! lol

2.) They don't know about the AFC's available for our cars.

3.) Don't worry about that. As long as they have that tool to detect knock, then you're set. If that thing triggers, that's where you have to pull timing. I'm sure there's more to it than that, but it should be the basis of your tune.

i guess with the stock super map and pulling timming i can get something not so bad after all..

cost alot though.. i guess you pay for what you want..

the funny thing is the guy said to me at first, dont retard the timming , put a alcohol something injection kit to cool down the air so you can put more fuel and be boosting it to 14-15 psi with out any trouble..

i was.. "no no no, let me explain how a msp engine is built..."

(freak)

Ha, funny thing about that is I work for Labonte MotorSports. We specialize in water/meth injection kits. In some ways, the guy was right :)

Ha, funny thing about that is I work for Labonte MotorSports. We specialize in water/meth injection kits. In some ways, the guy was right :)
im not saying he wasn't right.. but its not the route i want to take..

and even if you would spray meth/water in it and boost to 14 psi.. you still have the weak rods..

I agree. I wouldn't run 14 psi in my own MSP (Even with water/meth I would be paranoid about it. I'll wait till I'm forged) so I wouldn't recommend someone else do it with theirs.

You'll generally want to pull timing between 3500-5000RPM (you need more up top, because the combustion event happens so much faster) and DO NOT take it to that shop. Their "knock device" sounds just like a knock light. No big deal. Look around, you said you're close to Q City, there's gotta be some shops there. Don't be afraid to drive a bit for the sake of your engine.

You'll generally want to pull timing between 3500-5000RPM (you need more up top, because the combustion event happens so much faster) and DO NOT take it to that shop. Their "knock device" sounds just like a knock light. No big deal. Look around, you said you're close to Q City, there's gotta be some shops there. Don't be afraid to drive a bit for the sake of your engine.

+1

i have a contact who knows a speed shop quebec city... 200km is no problem

2 questions though, does the SS afc V3 come with a superstock map like the V2 and with timming already pulled a little right out of the box?

you say pull timming from 3500 to 5000.. what happens after that? you leave it stock? or pull LESS timming than between 3500-5000 ?

I agree. I wouldn't run 14 psi in my own MSP (Even with water/meth I would be paranoid about it. I'll wait till I'm forged) so I wouldn't recommend someone else do it with theirs.

What is the most you would run without forged rods, but with meth injection?

I have CAI, J back 3" exh, Unichip w/ boost controller, 440cc injectors, and a FMIC. Other stuff but nothing relevant to the engines performance.

fr0st, if the guys at the dyno shop have a good reputation for doing work on other cars, they probably do know what they're doing, they just don't know the specifics about what you are doing.

Tell them that the AFC has piggyback timing control and explain it to them. They may not know specifics about the Mazda, but motors are generally the same, and if you can explain the idiosyncrasies of this car has, they may be able to at least do a light tune to get you to Quebec, or if they're good enough they can get r done.

fr0st, if the guys at the dyno shop have a good reputation for doing work on other cars, they probably do know what they're doing, they just don't know the specifics about what you are doing.

Tell them that the AFC has piggyback timing control and explain it to them. They may not know specifics about the Mazda, but motors are generally the same, and if you can explain the idiosyncrasies of this car has, they may be able to at least do a light tune to get you to Quebec, or if they're good enough they can get r done.

yeah but, once i install this, i'll have a atp WGA on as well and should be close to 9 psi.. surely i can go around with 9 psi and stock ecu richness so i can make to quebec city without asny problem?

surely i can go around with 9 psi and stock ecu richness so i can make to quebec city without asny problem?

Definitely, I drove around on an untuned AFC, with FMIC, exh, intake, etc. I was running 9.5 psi with no boost controller (boost just went up that much from supporting mods).

No problem, just runs rich in boost, not so bad though.

Definitely, I drove around on an untuned AFC, with FMIC, exh, intake, etc. I was running 9.5 psi with no boost controller (boost just went up that much from supporting mods).

No problem, just runs rich in boost, not so bad though.

can i go around with the stock supermap already in the AFC and 9 psi?

if so, then im golden. i'd rather go directly to a place where they already know msp's and will be better equipped as they get alot more cars to tune.

you say pull timming from 3500 to 5000.. what happens after that? you leave it stock? or pull LESS timming than between 3500-5000 ?

I don't know. I have a full standalone, which is still the way to go. Piggybacks are a waste of money IMO (having owned them before the Haltech) and you'll never be truly happy. For an extra $600 you could have a full standalone that would control everything, and enable you to run a proper tune, and up the boost that much more. Joka ran 22psi on stock internals for over a year because he had a standalone.

Something to chew on...

can i go around with the stock supermap already in the AFC and 9 psi?

if so, then im golden. i'd rather go directly to a place where they already know msp's and will be better equipped as they get alot more cars to tune.

Yes, you can definitely drive it with the superstock map.

I don't know. I have a full standalone, which is still the way to go. Piggybacks are a waste of money IMO

Yes and no, tuning a car with a full standalone for cold weather starts can be difficult and may require adjusting throughout the seasons. They are great if its always hot or consistent in temperature.

Yes and no, tuning a car with a full standalone for cold weather starts can be difficult and may require adjusting throughout the seasons. They are great if its always hot or consistent in temperature.

I have NO idea why everyone thinks that... Cold weather tuning is NOT that difficult. A few hours at the most is all it'd take. Once you get your slope dialed in, you can fill in the blanks and have a map that's better than stock.

I don't drive my car in the winter, and barely even in the fall, but on those spring days where the mornings drop down to -5 to -10 even the car has had no problems starting.

Back