Emergency stop signal

jeremy44

:
CX-5 AWD GT with Tech pkg
So I just found out another good feature that North American CX-5 miss out on is that the hazards will rapidly flash under heavy braking.
I actually want to see this in action so if anyone from Europe, Asia or Australia is kind enough to demonstrate via a video for us across the ocean that would be greatly appreciated (cheers2)

fyi I do turn on my hazards every time traffic is coming to a slow or stop on the highway/ motorway, when I'm stopped around a blind corner due to traffic or unexpectedly slowing or stopping (e.g. giving way to an emergency vehicle, crash, obstruction/ hazard ahead)

It would be nice to have it in situations where I can't readily reach for the hazard light button even though it's a natural instinct for me to press it on in the scenarios described above

Only example of an ESS of this type is from a Honda in Japan
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nc8gd_XENMc

Last edited:
Bahahaha, love the upbeat Japanese commercials. I also throw on the hazards for quick stops on the highway in all my cars. Unfortunately, I don't think it helps much in NYC since most drivers are completely obvious to anything.

I know the LCI 335's have the feature where the rear foglights will be lit during an emergency stop. Well a 355d to be specific.

Deer wins every time against that little cracker box car. Just sayin'...

oh yeah
but its essentially not adding insult to the injury of crashing to a deer by getting rear ended
with solid brake light most of us don't know how much to slow down, but with flashing brake lights or hazard lights we know its going to be a major slow down or sudden stop

I really hate it when people put hazards on for a stopped traffic up ahead, do people only look at the car infront of them, and not 10 cars ahead, or as far ahead as you can possibly see. I often see the traffic jam, come off the gas and coast slowly to a stop while all the cars infront are flashing hazards and slamming on brakes while 3 ft from the car infront! If you have to have automatic hazards and you ever see the feature in use, then your driving is all wrong unless there is a real emergency.

I prefer manual control of hazards (and US regs that allow for this).

I really hate it when people put hazards on for a stopped traffic up ahead, do people only look at the car infront of them, and not 10 cars ahead, or as far ahead as you can possibly see. I often see the traffic jam, come off the gas and coast slowly to a stop while all the cars infront are flashing hazards and slamming on brakes while 3 ft from the car infront! If you have to have automatic hazards and you ever see the feature in use, then your driving is all wrong unless there is a real emergency.

Ever driven in NYC?

So I just found out another good feature that North American CX-5 miss out on is that the hazards will rapidly flash under heavy braking.
I actually want to see this in action so if anyone from Europe, Asia or Australia is kind enough to demonstrate via a video for us across the ocean that would be greatly appreciated (cheers2)

fyi I do turn on my hazards every time traffic is coming to a slow or stop on the highway/ motorway, when I'm stopped around a blind corner due to traffic or unexpectedly slowing or stopping (e.g. giving way to an emergency vehicle, crash, obstruction/ hazard ahead)

It would be nice to have it in situations where I can't readily reach for the hazard light button even though it's a natural instinct for me to press it on in the scenarios described above

Only example of an ESS of this type is from a Honda in Japan
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nc8gd_XENMc

Min 6:10 for few seconds
http://youtu.be/WV1tasrWius

In case someone can't see past my car. A bit easier in my Mazda 3 and definitely easier in a Japanese key-car, but it's hard to see past most SUVs and all minivans and trucks.

I think its because people look far ahead that they can anticipate a slow down and warn others behind. Even if you do look far ahead, people behind you might not and I always take the precaution of turning them on to warn everyone behind me, especially since there are so many taller SUV's and vehicles in north America, if you are a sedan stuck behind one and cannot see far ahead, the hazards flashing help a lot.

Back