electric parking brake

Maybe I'm wrong, but..if your battery goes dead and you have 'no electrical power'..wouldn't the electrical brake be disengaged also??

Maybe I'm wrong, but..if your battery goes dead and you have 'no electrical power'..wouldn't the electrical brake be disengaged also??

I doubt that is the case since it more than likely an electrical winch and would need power to release the spool or clutch that keeps tension while engaged.

I know people aren't going to want to believe it, but electronic parking brakes are cheaper and more reliable than mechanical units. OEMs have wanted to use them for years, but it's only recently that US DOT has changed their regulations to allow them.

I heard the same about electric power steering and know of problems when one manufacturer swapped from hydraulic to electric PS. Same with throttle-by-wire, it sounds great, but plagued by software glitches more than once. I have never had any problems with mechanical parking brakes. It is nice to have that "analog" feel of when it engages so that you know it's condition (adjustment and such), especially with a manual transmission.

I doubt that is the case since it more than likely an electrical winch and would need power to release the spool or clutch that keeps tension while engaged.

The brakes are driven on and driven off with a motor so no power is needed except when putting them on or off. If your battery goes dead you wont lose the brakes but you would need a jump to release them so you could push or pull the car.

"TRW's EPB enhances vehicle safety, driver comfort, convenience, and allows for greater freedom of vehicle interior design and packaging. TRW has further developed its Electric Park Brake technology and can offer integrated solutions (EPBi) and front axle configurations (EPB front) as a cost effective solution in order to address requirements for the A and B segment vehicle market. EPB brakes are designed to reduce drag and save weight versus traditional mechanical parking brake options and enhances safety in emergency stop situations, with full four-wheel anti-lock functionality versus conventional park brake emergency braking, which only functions on the rear axle."
http://www.trw.com/braking_systems/electric_park_brake

Also http://pmmonline.co.uk/technical/how-electric-parking-brakes-epb-work-part-1http://

I engaged my 2016 GT EPB today for the very first time as i was parked on a steep hill, then forgot to disengage it when re-entering the car..it did a great job --would not let me go backwards or forwards until i finally flipped the switch. Looked at the dash, but the sun was in my eyes so I didn't notice any indicator. Just the light on the consoles EPB.

I engaged my 2016 GT EPB today for the very first time as i was parked on a steep hill, then forgot to disengage it when re-entering the car..it did a great job --would not let me go backwards or forwards until i finally flipped the switch. Looked at the dash, but the sun was in my eyes so I didn't notice any indicator. Just the light on the consoles EPB.

Actually, the epb disengages automatically when you step on the gas pedal. But you have to push a little harder than you would want to if you are parked between two cars, so in that case you need to flip the switch by hand. Myself, I love the epb, and do not miss the mechanical pb whatsoever. And for those who use if for hill assistance, you can still use it for that given the automatic disengagement (aside from the parking scenarion I think), and there is also the actuall hill launch assistance tech if you need it (dunno about trims/availability for that, but I have it, although with an automatic there's hardly a need for it anyway).

I tested the epb again yesterday, and must correct myself. You don't have to push the pedal very much, at least not to the point where you risk jumping forward with the car when it disengages.

If your regular brakes fail, you can gently pull on the emergency brake to bring yourself to a safe stop. Not sure how you do that with an electric parking brake that is either all on, or all off??

I am pretty sure that most epb's are safer in that respect than their mechanical counterparts as they usually work with the anti-lock braking system, as the electronics are integrated. I will check with the owner's manual later.

It disengages when in gear, but only if you have your seat belt on! That's true. It is in the manual. I just wanted to move my car in the driveway, so I didn't put on the seat belt and did not realize my parking break was engaged.....

Haha, that's right. And I do find the manual somewhat ambigous on autodisengagement, in one paragraph it says to make sure you disengage the epb by hand before driving, and then a page or two down it says that you can either disengage manually or let it automagically do it for you as you drive off.

Last edited:
I really dislike the manual... there are so many notes and warning it's almost unreadable. Love the epb though!

Back