DRSS Issue? (Distance Recognition Support System)

:
2024 CX90 PHEV Premium Plus
We’ve had our 2021 CX-9 Grand Touring for almost 2 weeks. Loving it. So far the only possible issue is the DRSS. My last car was a 2018 Mazda 6 Grand Touring Reserve which also had the DRSS. I’m assuming the systems would be similar which the CX-9 owner’s manual suggests but I wanna make sure I’m not missing something.

When the system detects a car, a tiny car icon should display between the Lane Departure warning lines in the instrument cluster and up on the Active Driving Display. Mine doesn’t do this no matter how close I get to a car in front of me. I turned the feature off and on in settings. I looked at fuses but nothing is specifically labeled for this system.

Does everyone else see the car icon? Thoughts on anything else I could check? Most likely going to schedule a service appointment but wanted to make sure I was not overlooking something.

Thanks!

I see it in my 2018 CX-9's ADD. I wonder if something has changed in the display for newer MYs?

I see it in my 2018 CX-9's ADD. I wonder if something has changed in the display for newer MYs?
That’s what I was wondering - is it a change for 2021? My 2018 6 ADD and instrument cluster showed the car icon.

I’m going to call service this week and see what’s up. Maybe it’s a simple setting I missed ... perhaps something that they overlooked when prepping the car like a missed fuse or something.

We’ve had our 2021 CX-9 Grand Touring for almost 2 weeks. Loving it. So far the only possible issue is the DRSS. My last car was a 2018 Mazda 6 Grand Touring Reserve which also had the DRSS. I’m assuming the systems would be similar which the CX-9 owner’s manual suggests but I wanna make sure I’m not missing something.

When the system detects a car, a tiny car icon should display between the Lane Departure warning lines in the instrument cluster and up on the Active Driving Display. Mine doesn’t do this no matter how close I get to a car in front of me. I turned the feature off and on in settings. I looked at fuses but nothing is specifically labeled for this system.

Does everyone else see the car icon? Thoughts on anything else I could check? Most likely going to schedule a service appointment but wanted to make sure I was not overlooking something.

Thanks!
Did you get a resolution on this? I'm seeing the same problem on my new 2021 Mazda 6

My 2016 CX-9 does not show a car until I engage radar cruise control and there is a car. My wife’s 2017 mazda3 shows a car if any time it detects it, cruise control on or off. I like the 3’s way better.

For all of you following this thread, the dealership contacted me to say that they have reached out to Mazda corporate and that the problem is a bug on 2021 models, Mazda is aware of the problem and will be putting a patch in the coming weeks. If you purchased your car new, the dealership will be contacting you when a fix is available.

Does anyone know if Mazda has made the fix available to dealers yet? thanks.
I have not been contacted by my dealership about the patch. I am waiting until June (six months) before I reach out to them and if I don't get a satisfactory answer, Mazda Corporate directly about the issue.

Thanks for the quick reply. It is odd going from my daughter's CX-5 which shows the DRSS on ADD to the new 6 which doesn't. I know you can see the car ahead with your own eyes, but it's nice having the feature work on the ADD....

Yes, it's definitely nice to have because it helps keep a safe distance between you and the car ahead as the car icon changes from white to amber if you are following to close for the speed you are going. Coming from a 2018 Mazda 6 that had the feature, I definitely miss not having it in my new 2021 Mazda 6.

Hi everyone, I just purchased a 2021 Mazda CX-5 GT (Canada) and I have the same issue as mentioned here. I have tried everything but the AD Display does not show the small car as it should be. My previous CX-5 (2018) did not have any issues and I kind of starting to regret my switch. I reported this issue with the dealership and I got a simple answer: "We can't help you. Contact Mazda Canada".
It's been almost 2 weeks since the issue was reported to the head-office. What was interesting is when I called them to report this, the customer rep said they don't have any report like this.
I am putting a video together on Youtube, Facebook and Instagram and will be posting it on Mazda Canada pages. Stay tuned. Thank you.

Hi everyone, I just purchased a 2021 Mazda CX-5 GT (Canada) and I have the same issue as mentioned here. I have tried everything but the AD Display does not show the small car as it should be. My previous CX-5 (2018) did not have any issues and I kind of starting to regret my switch. I reported this issue with the dealership and I got a simple answer: "We can't help you. Contact Mazda Canada".
It's been almost 2 weeks since the issue was reported to the head-office. What was interesting is when I called them to report this, the customer rep said they don't have any report like this.
I am putting a video together on Youtube, Facebook and Instagram and will be posting it on Mazda Canada pages. Stay tuned. Thank you.
I also went from a 2018 to a 2021 in the USA and having the same experience on the AD. I haven’t contacted the dealer yet.

Hi everyone,

I just finished speaking with Mazda Canada, and the Quality Department recognized that the car icon should appear on the AD display if certain conditions are met, but at this moment there is nothing they can do. There is no fix to this in the future. At least at this moment. I already regret switching to 2021 model. I am done with Mazda.

Hi everyone,

I just finished speaking with Mazda Canada, and the Quality Department recognized that the car icon should appear on the AD display if certain conditions are met, but at this moment there is nothing they can do. There is no fix to this in the future. At least at this moment. I already regret switching to 2021 model. I am done with Mazda.
Is this your only issue with the car?
Seems like such a small inconvenience to disregard the brand as a whole

My 2019 CX-9 GT shows the DRSS in the HUD when there is a car in front of me within range of the sensor and if I get closer the car icon turns to amber color. Honestly, I don't pay a lot of attention to it since for the last 48 years I've relied on looking out the windshield at the vehicle in front of me and using the old "3 Second Rule" to gauge if I'm following too close. Seems weird that Mazda would drop the feature though.

Is this your only issue with the car?
Seems like such a small inconvenience to disregard the brand as a whole
Hi jefferson88, don't get me wrong, I love my CX-5. But the fact that the HQ Canada and dealership can't give their customers a resolution, or a plan moving forward how this issue is going to be handled makes me think twice what will be my next vehicle after this. Mazda needs to step up the customer service when it comes to complains.
Do you find this DRSS issue just an inconvenience? I believe it should be treated as a safety concern? As a fun fact, the customer rep I spoke with said the same thing: the DRSS is a convenience. But in fact it is safety feature. The settings in the infotainment has DRSS and others under the "Safety" tab.
Let's see and wait. Maybe they will come up with a fix soon.

Hi jefferson88, don't get me wrong, I love my CX-5. But the fact that the HQ Canada and dealership can't give their customers a resolution, or a plan moving forward how this issue is going to be handled makes me think twice what will be my next vehicle after this. Mazda needs to step up the customer service when it comes to complains.
Do you find this DRSS issue just an inconvenience? I believe it should be treated as a safety concern? As a fun fact, the customer rep I spoke with said the same thing: the DRSS is a convenience. But in fact it is safety feature. The settings in the infotainment has DRSS and others under the "Safety" tab.

I honestly think that a case can be made for both convenience and safety, though we, as drivers, should never rely on a car's driver assistance systems - this is made clear every time you start the car. More important, IMO, is the fact that if something isn't working correctly, we should be given an explanation why, or it should be investigated and fixed.

I think you should “temper” your expectations when it comes to dealing with Mazda as while it may appear as a safety concern from your end, at the end of day they won’t likely do much for you as it appears as a software issue/glitch and unless there is a multitude of complaints and a real safety issue that could involve possible accidents (as a result from malfunction from the vehicle) only then will they act on it. IMO it‘s just one of the many safety features that they have and while it sounds like a deal breaker to you to the point of regretting your decision, to me that feature is totally useless albeit a nuisance and don’t see the reason why to even offer it (never seen this in other vehicles). If it bothers you that much then you are free to switch it with another vehicle…the stress that it may be causing you isn’t worth it trying to fight with Mazda Corporate!

Yah, this is really not a big deal
Can anyone else with a 2021 model confirm this? Like previously mentioned
my 2018 did display it on the HUD and my 2021 does not.
Regardless of the importance, it would be nice to know if it is just some setting that is off, did Mazda remove this feature or is it a flaw in the software.

Back