Driving through France... what do i need?!

WNJ

:
CX-5 2.2D (175PS) AWD Manual Sport-NAV + Safety Pack
Am thinking of driving to the South of France in early July, i have the CX-5 Sport-Nav AWD, what will i need to take with me to comply with French law?

Hi-vis top per person?
Spare bulbs? (that could be pricey!)
Two self-breathalyzer kits?

.... am i on the right track?

Breathalyzer? Damn are we yanks spoiled, the cops here all have them! And man am I isolated from the big bad European world lol never heard of these requirements, wow have things changed in the 20 years since I rambled through France in a Peugeot panel van. Is much of Europe this way? Vive la France and Bon voyage!

Aah, that looks like a good start, thanks. Is it true though that you need one hi-vis vest per person in the car and also a complete set of replacement bulbs?

I haven't heard about needing replacement bulbs or about needing more than one hi-viz vest..... I guess you could contact the AA and see what info they can provide?

The set of spare lights may be a little difficult also...

Please excuse the jaggy photo, was a quick panorama shot!
Photo%2016-02-2013%2015%2027%2039.jpg

yup I had to delete speed camera locations off my satnav for France. The breathalyser law in theory is so you can test yourself and then realize you shouldn't drive. that is plain nuts. I don't drink any alcohol when driving abroad so they are useless for me. The police will save having to use one of their breathalyser tests if they stop you, they will get you to use one of yours, and if you don't have one in the car , time for a fine! - viva la France , eh? Going there in the not too distant future. Staying round the corner from Eurodisney, But can't wait to have some crepes with grand marnier and cream in a little brasserie we came across round the corner from Notre Dame. And going to see Paris at sunset from the Eiffel tower, So it ain't all bad!(cheers2)

Last edited:
I haven't driven in Europe ( specifically England ) for at least 20 years. Has the speed trap / speed camera thing become that oppressive?

Quite a lot in the UK, and cameras over motorway/freeway bridges, didn't see many in france but quite a few in northern belguim and in the netherlands. Get caught 4 times in 3 years on them in uk and you lose your licence. How long depends on a number of things, I know someone who had a 1 week driving ban, but you could get more.

Last edited:
The set of spare lights may be a little difficult also...

Please excuse the jaggy photo, was a quick panorama shot!
Photo%2016-02-2013%2015%2027%2039.jpg

wow! - I was in one of their stores on saturday and I came across exactly the same problem. The car has only been out 6 months for heavens sake.

odd, I drove around the loire valley for a few days a couple years ago and didnt have any special stuff.

i actually thought you were joking. hi-vis vests? self brethalizer? seriously??!?!?!

Back