Driver's side mirror haze

ELPEREZ

myzoomzoom
:
2012 Mazda CX-9
2021 Cx5 signature purchased in January, always garaged and just gave it its first wash. The driver's side mirror had this haze when I drove it off the lot, I thought it was something the detailers at the dealer might have rubbed on it. Well after washing it, (at home) The haze did not come off. Does anyone have this issue? Dealer said its an anti reflective Mirror. Passenger side does not have this.

Attachments

• 20210319_150535.jpg
    20210319_150535.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 171
What did you wash it with? Did you use a glass cleaner like Windex or Invisible Glass on the mirror surface? Does the haze inhibit your view?

Upvote 0
Mcguires car wash solution, then ammonia free window cleaner.

Attachments

• 20210323_155515.jpg
    20210323_155515.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 212
  • 20210323_155445.jpg
    20210323_155445.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 153
Upvote 0
That's really odd. My 19' GTR's mirror doesn't have that haze on it. Perhaps you could take a look at other CX-5's on the dealers lot, and if those don't have the haze on the mirrors, point that out to your dealer.

Upvote 0
Try some alcohol.

Interesting that the area of the haze is exactly where the mirror heater is located behind the glass.

I wonder if something was sprayed on the mirror while the heater was on and it dried this way?

Upvote 0
Gosh I hope it's something that can be fixed. I didn't think it had heaters though. I used an ultra fine microfiber that is made for windows, or on granite . Still no luck.

Upvote 0
Signature has heated mirrors that come on with the rear window defroster switch.

I'm no expert on mirrors but that doesn't look right to me. I think the dealer's explanation that it is normal because it is an "anti reflective" mirror is b.s.

Compare other cars like yours on the lot and see if they all look like that. I bet not.

Upvote 0
I have the same vehicle and I had this problem for a week or so. I know not to get rainx on the mirrors but it happened anyways when I mixed up my MF rags (could stand for “microfiber”, or an expletive). New car, and it looked kinda like yours— not a good feeling. Anyways, I’m on board with your theory that someone at the dealer hit it with a chemical that they shouldn’t have. I’ve seen some serious [screw]-ups from dealership detailing crews.

For my situation, I read up on removing rainx and I hit it with some ISO (I forget if it was 70 or 90%). Knowing how relatively “soft” the side mirror glass is, I scrubbed at it with the ISO but I was VERY careful. At first it only looked slightly improved, but after it either rained or next car wash, it pretty much went 100% away. I might’ve completely forgot had it not been for your post.

RainX is unlikely to be what the dealer used, so take this advice knowing the issues *might* be similar but different.

Hope this helps at least somewhat. You’re at least not alone.

Upvote 0
I went to the dealer (since I was in the area) and had the sales guys take a look, first thing they asked was what model and trim the vehicle was. As soon as I said signature they said heater so I guess they know this can be a problem. I'm in Southern California so I have not had to use rear defrost yet I barely hit 1k miles today. They said to take it to service. I went to service and just my luck it was almost closing time so service techs were gone. Hopefully getting answers tomorrow.

Upvote 0
Signature has heated mirrors that come on with the rear window defroster switch.

I'm no expert on mirrors but that doesn't look right to me. I think the dealer's explanation that it is normal because it is an "anti reflective" mirror is b.s.

Compare other cars like yours on the lot and see if they all look like that. I bet not.
Thanks for the info on the on/off of the mirror heaters. Would have been looking all over.

Upvote 0
What did you wash it with? Did you use a glass cleaner like Windex or Invisible Glass on the mirror surface? Does the haze inhibit your view?
When the sun shines on it, that's when it is most visible. At night not too bad, in the day with the sun behind, it looks bad.

Upvote 0
I went to the dealer (since I was in the area) and had the sales guys take a look, first thing they asked was what model and trim the vehicle was. As soon as I said signature they said heater so I guess they know this can be a problem. I'm in Southern California so I have not had to use rear defrost yet I barely hit 1k miles today. They said to take it to service. I went to service and just my luck it was almost closing time so service techs were gone. Hopefully getting answers tomorrow.
Ha! I called it. :unsure:

Upvote 0
It sure looks like car polish. I would try rubbing one spot with dawn dish washing soap to see if it is a synthetic polish or damage to the mirror.

Upvote 0
Back