Driver side door lock

alpahbg95

:
mazda3 s
So I have a 2011 Mazda 3 hatch and just recently the door lock stopped working. I can't push the lock manually from the inside and the key won't turn left to lock the door from the outside. One friend said it might be the door lock actuator (but wouldn't I still be lock it manually from the outside if it was the actuator). Another friend said it's the door lock cylinder.

Opinions, ideas, who should I go to (salt lake area).

Also could I do the work myself and if it is the door lock cylinder, is there a way to keep my original key for the lock?

Unless your door lock cylinder were tampered with, I think odds are that your actuator is defective. The only way to know may be to bypass the actuator to see if the locking mechanism then works. Removing the door panel may allow you a more thorough inspection of the mechanisms involved. If this is something you are wary of doing, many smaller repair shops can resolve the issue.

Is it fairly simple to take the panel off and put back on? also when I take the panel off what should I be looking for exactly?

You might be able to find a video of doing this. It does help to know where the screws and clips are located. I have not removed my Mazda3 door panel but I have done so to my 89 MX6 GT when I replaced the window switch. You'd be looking for any simple issues that could cause the malfunction - like a disconnected wire connector or loose grounding screw. Bypassing the actuator requires some electrical knowledge and often a wiring diagram from a service manual.

So I decided to take my car to local mechanic. It was some type of electrical malfunction in the interior lock unit. My interior handle cable also broke so that is why I wasn't doing it myself. Came out to be 362$ including tax.

Did the shop list the electrical component that failed? I'm curious as to whether it was the door lock actuator.

Back