Door beeps when I open it after I turn off the engine

A lot of times (not all the time) when I park my CX-5, I put it in park mode, turn off the engine, all doors are closed, I have the key with me (but of course I am still inside the car), I open the driver's door to get out a beeping sound starts. If I proceed closing the door, the fob will not lock the car, and if I leave it as it is, next morning the battery is dead.

Until yesterday I had a simple "hack" to resolve it, I would turn on the start button (but NOT the engine) step on the brake, switch gear to N or M, put it back on P, turn off the start button and it was ok to open the door, no more beeping. But that does not work anymore, it does work, my have to do several times.

And to make matters worse, what used to be "a lot of times" is becoming "every time".

I made two videos

Dashboard lights before opening the door

Fix

How can I resolve this?

Thank you.

Last edited:
Sounds like the switch that senses the car is in park needs adjusted or replaced.

What year / trim is your cx5?

A lot of times (not all the time) when I park my CX-5, I turn off the engine, put it in park mode, all doors are closed, I have the key with me (but of course I am still inside the car), I open the driver's door to get out a beeping sound starts.

Until yesterday I had a simple "hack" to resolve it, I would turn on the start button (but NOT the engine) step on the brake, switch gear to N or M, put it back on P, turn off the start button and it was ok to open the door, no more beeping. But that does not work anymore.

And to make matters worse, what used to be sometimes is becoming every time.

How can I resolve this?

Thank you.
Is there an accompanying “key” light that comes on on the dashboard? Or any other warning light?

Is the light switch for the headlight to the “on” position? If left on “on” it may beep when you open the door to warn you to turn it off.

A lot of times (not all the time) when I park my CX-5, I turn off the engine, put it in park mode, all doors are closed, I have the key with me (but of course I am still inside the car), I open the driver's door to get out a beeping sound starts.

Until yesterday I had a simple "hack" to resolve it, I would turn on the start button (but NOT the engine) step on the brake, switch gear to N or M, put it back on P, turn off the start button and it was ok to open the door, no more beeping. But that does not work anymore.

And to make matters worse, what used to be sometimes is becoming every time.

How can I resolve this?

Thank you.

Try: Put in park first then turn off the engine while still seated in the car with the key nearby and door closed. Then open door and exit the car.
Should not get any beeps and no messages.
Usually the beeps are if the car is not in Park when you turn the engine off.

I get the beeping if I turn off engine first then put in Park or if I am in Park (engine still running) but me physically out of the car (door open) and turn engine off by putting just my hand inside to touch the button.

Is there an accompanying “key” light that comes on on the dashboard? Or any other warning light?
Hi

Tks for replying

Yes, the key light flashes (but it flashes all the time, even when there is no beeping and the doors are locked from outside with the fob)

Dashboard lights before opening the door

Fix

Last edited:
Try putting the car in neutral then turning it off with the button. If it acts exactly the same way you might indeed have a bad shifter Park switch. It's a known issue with early CX-5's, they make an upgraded switch for '13 and '14's. Take a look here for more info.

Back