Don't get any more ideas from Ford, Mazda

7eregrine

The man, the myth, the legend
:
Land of Cleve
:
2016.5 CX5
If you know me, you know I hate how much chrome they put in these cars. One of the (obviously minor) reasons I chose the 2016 versus all other models was the lack of chrome around the windows. There is none in my car. 2016 Ford Escape added chrome trim to only the bottom edge of the windows. WTF? Then...Mazda adds it in 2017. Coincidence? Hopefully.
So I saw a 22 Escape this week. My jaw dropped. Please Mazda...
Don't do it.

Attachments

• IMG_20220322_124019.jpg
    IMG_20220322_124019.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 173
I don't like a lot of chrome either but I think the CX-5 is just fine. As for more bad ideas from Ford, I just hope Mazda doesn't replace their NA 2.5L with a 3 cyl 1.5L turbo like on the Escape...The 2022 Rogue has such an engine with variable compression ratio, thanks but no thanks:(

2022 Toyota Corolla Cross and Buick Encore GX also have a similar chrome molding which I call "reversed hockey stick". Seems to be a trend but it doesn't bother me as much as big black cladding like on the CX-30! There are many other things that I don't like on vehicles but that would be best posted on another thread. Here's a few; leatherette seats, black wheels, low profile tires, small windows, noisy engines/tires, etc. I'll stop here before Antoine or sm1ke give me a warning!!!

Front end styling is OK, but really not a fan of side or rear styling on the current Escape.
Rented a current gen Ford Explorer and the interior is cheap and nasty.

I do like what they are doing with the price point of the upcoming F-150 Lightning, it's already sold out for years of production.

One wonders where Mazda would be today if Ford still held one third of the company.

I don't like a lot of chrome either but I think the CX-5 is just fine. As for more bad ideas from Ford, I just hope Mazda doesn't replace their NA 2.5L with a 3 cyl 1.5L turbo like on the Escape...The 2022 Rogue has such an engine with variable compression ratio, thanks but no thanks:(
I had not heard about the new 3 cylinder motor as the Rogue here had an updated 2.5l for the new models launch. Interesting they would massage the 2.5 and then stop using it a year later. Power figures for the new motor aren't bad: 201hp and 225 ft/lbs. Better than Hondas 1.5L 4 cylinder in the CR-V and even the new Civic Si. Too bad Nissan had to ruin it with a CVT.

I like the exterior styling of the Ford escape. Chrome accents on the exterior doesn't bother me. It's the gloss black in the interior the really bothers me. Especially in the high touch areas.

I like the escape. When I first started seeing it I said, 'hey, what's that? looks good'

Last edited:
Back